hey this is a basic question

Old October 29th 03, 05:11 PM
Mike Henley

Default hey this is a basic question

first... see this pic

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0211/04soho/earth.jpg

then... my question is... what's inside the sun... is it solid or
liquid or gas or what....
and say for example i happened to drop under the surface of the sun...
how long would i last... and how long would i last in the center of
the sun itself....
Old October 29th 03, 06:20 PM
CeeBee

(Mike Henley) wrote in sci.astro:

first... see this pic

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0211/04soho/earth.jpg

Yes sir.

then... my question is... what's inside the sun... is it solid or
liquid or gas or what....

The center of the Sun is still gaseous. Here's a page which describes it
in more detail.
http://fusedweb.pppl.gov/CPEP/Chart_...SunLayers.html

and say for example i happened to drop under the surface of the sun...
how long would i last... and how long would i last in the center of
the sun itself....

On the surface of the Sun you'd instantly die from the intense heat,
immense gravity and fierce radiation. You wouln't last a fraction of a
second.
In the core it's not much better. Pressure, radiation, heat... imagine
that a part of the core the size a grain of sand is hot enough to
_instantly_ incinerate a region of 250 kilometers here on Earth.

In an instant you would do as the Sun does: donating a lot of atoms to the
fusion process.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old October 29th 03, 06:49 PM
Greg Neill

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
first... see this pic

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0211/04soho/earth.jpg

then... my question is... what's inside the sun... is it solid or
liquid or gas or what....

Gas, plasma. The Sun is a ball of gas, mostly hydrogen,
a little helium, and a pinch of everything else.

and say for example i happened to drop under the surface of the sun...
how long would i last... and how long would i last in the center of
the sun itself....

Assuming that you could survive the trip there, and you
dove in naked, I'd give you about a millisecond. Much
less at the core.

Old October 30th 03, 03:02 PM
Chosp

"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
first... see this pic

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0211/04soho/earth.jpg

then... my question is... what's inside the sun...

Lots and lots of ionized hydrogen.

is it solid or

No.

liquid or gas or what....

It is a plasma. An ionized gas.

and say for example i happened to drop under the surface of the sun...
how long would i last...

At the photosphere, which is what appears to be the "surface" of the sun,
the temperature is about 10,000 degrees F. You would boil and vaporize
in moments.

and how long would i last in the center of
the sun itself....

Nanoseconds, probably.

Old October 31st 03, 05:30 AM
Igor

On 29 Oct 2003 09:11:07 -0800, (Mike Henley) wrote:

first... see this pic

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0211/04soho/earth.jpg

then... my question is... what's inside the sun... is it solid or
liquid or gas or what....
and say for example i happened to drop under the surface of the sun...
how long would i last... and how long would i last in the center of
the sun itself....

Forget about dropping under the surface. You'd never even get there
without vaporizing in the tremendously hot corona.