[OT] Nuclear testing to resume

Old November 24th 12, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Default [OT] Nuclear testing to resume

On 22/11/2012 4:32 AM, Anonymous wrote:
http://www.space.com/18508-asteroid-...ear-bombs.html

The U.S. is coming up with some sort of fake astroid deflecting test to
test warheads in its nuclear arsenal. I'll wager you that the warhead
to be used in the test will probably be a new design.

Don't care. Asteroid impacts are a non-trivial threat, and we need a
proven way of preventing them.

Sylvia.

Old November 25th 12, 02:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 25/11/2012 1:34 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

On 22/11/2012 4:32 AM, Anonymous wrote:
http://www.space.com/18508-asteroid-...ear-bombs.html

The U.S. is coming up with some sort of fake astroid deflecting test to
test warheads in its nuclear arsenal. I'll wager you that the warhead
to be used in the test will probably be a new design.

Don't care. Asteroid impacts are a non-trivial threat, and we need a
proven way of preventing them.

He's an idiot, Sylvia, like all people posting 'anonymously'.

Note that these are scientists at a private university. In other
words, no government test program and certainly not one involving any
nukes.

I'll wager you that there is no test with a live warhead at all.

Perhaps, though at some point we'll need to know whether this approach
actually works, or whether we still need to find a solution. There would
certainly be some serious politics involved in launching a live warhead,
but I think the world's leaders need to get over it - some things are
too important.

Sylvia.
Old November 25th 12, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default Nuclear testing to resume

Sylvia Else wrote:

[...]

It'll be done in simulation. *Nukes aren't magical and we know how
they work and what effects they can have.

*man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
*all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --George Bernard Shaw

what you dont know is what you dont know.......

and if its a matter of saving human life on earth its better if we
know.

given this its better to redirect a asteroid than attempting to
blowing it up... which may just make it worse.
Old November 25th 12, 05:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Wayne Throop

: bob haller
: given this its better to redirect a asteroid than attempting to
: blowing it up... which may just make it worse.

Good thing they have nukes to redirect asteroids then.
Doing wthout means there are far fewer time windows in chich
the redirect can occur.

What, you thought the only thing that nukes are good for in space
is blowing stuff up? Pfft, that's just silly.

Old November 25th 12, 07:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Nov 25, 12:36*pm, (Wayne Throop) wrote:
: bob haller
: given this its better to redirect a asteroid than attempting to
: blowing it up... *which may just make it worse.

Good thing they have nukes to redirect asteroids then.
Doing wthout means there are far fewer time windows in chich
the redirect can occur.

What, you thought the only thing that nukes are good for in space
is blowing stuff up? *Pfft, that's just silly.

Theres really no way to know what effect a nuke would have on a
asteroid, first there are many types of asteroids.....

iron rock, soft groups of gravel etc. and many more.

theres nothing like some real world testing BEFORE the future of
humanity is at stake!!!!!!
Old November 26th 12, 01:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else wrote:

[...]

Which in your case is pretty much everything.

and if its a matter of saving human life on earth its better if we
know.

And you seriously think we have insufficient data on nuclear weapon
effects? REALLY?

What we know less about is the composition of asteroids.

Sylvia.
Old November 26th 12, 03:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else wrote:

[...]

True, but a test program with live nukes won't tell us anything about
that, since we won't know the composition of the one that needs
deflecting until we actually have to deflect it.

We could determine theoretically which kinds we think the approach would
work with, then send probes to find suitable candidates for testing, and
then do the test. The test result might be that some modifications are
required.

On the day when we see an asteroid coming towards us with an impact
within weeks, we can then launch. If the asteroid is of the right type,
then we win. If not, we've not lost anything.

Sylvia.

MRO Science Operations Resume ron News 0 August 11th 09 01:12 AM
if doesn't Zephram resume truthfully [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 November 14th 07 07:58 AM
NASA Should Resume SS Experiments [email protected] Policy 5 February 25th 06 11:55 PM
Launchpadding one's resume Pat Flannery Policy 45 February 15th 06 12:15 AM
Launchpadding one's resume Pat Flannery History 46 February 15th 06 12:15 AM