For Rand

Old September 19th 03, 11:18 PM
Rand Simberg

Default For Rand

On 19 Sep 2003 15:11:31 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(Al Jackson) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

When you can put up a rational argument in its defense, then someone
might have a chance of (and be interested in) arguing against it, but
until then, it's just a bunch of blather.

Well the thought is not blather,
it speaks for itself,

Not to me.

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old September 20th 03, 01:08 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Al Jackson wrote:

Well the thought is not blather, it speaks for itself,

And it says 'Al Jackson is an idiot'.

Paul

Old September 20th 03, 01:10 AM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:08:03 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Paul F.
Dietz" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

Al Jackson wrote:

Well the thought is not blather, it speaks for itself,

And it says 'Al Jackson is an idiot'.

Gee, someone more blunt than me.

Old September 20th 03, 03:24 AM
pete

on 18 Sep 2003 19:29:30 -0700, Al Jackson sez:
` You know , I expressed this before,
` and I don't know who make the quote,
`
` "The United States,
` is the only country , in history,
` to go from
` Frontier,
` to Decadence,
` without going through ,
` Enlightenment."
`

Well, I have no idea who said that, perhaps someone suffering from
emphasema, but a rather similar quip, without all the commas, was
made by Oscar Wilde some time around the turn of the 20th century
after his visit.

Pete Vincent
Disclaimer: all I know I learned from reading Usenet.
Old September 21st 03, 11:34 PM
Al Jackson

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message ...
Al Jackson wrote:

Well the thought is not blather, it speaks for itself,

And it says 'Al Jackson is an idiot'.

Paul

You really mean that?

Actually the quote is:

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence
without civilization in between."

--Oscar Wilde

I thought the rephrasing 'enlightment' was better, tho, I did not make
it
up, I am not sure who did.
(Could have been HL Mencken.)
I don't see any idiocy in the phrase. I seems to have come true.
Tho if the planet lasts , America will go through enlightment, it is
coming.

By the by , we know each other , I think, ... you don't want to be as
rude
as I was!? Do you!?