Horizontal and Vertical Translation of Functions

Old March 31st 04, 08:04 PM
Venona Wickstrom

Default Horizontal and Vertical Translation of Functions

I know it's math but it does fit in some way into astronomy field which is
why I'm posting here.

I don't understand following question... Can anyone telll me what am I
suppose to do..?
Question The function y=f(x) is given. Describe how the graphs of the
following functions can be obtained from the graph of y=f(x).
(a) y = f(x)+5

What am I suppose to do with this?

2nd question....
I under the y=sequare root x
x y
0 0
1 1
4 2
9 3
16 4

but that's where i'm totally lost
y=square root x + 2 (x + 2 are underneath square root)
x y
-2 1
-1 2
-2 3
-7 4
-14 5

if x is -2 won't -2 and plus +2 would cross out eachother and answer would
be 0? and same confusion i have with rest of y-axis.

thanks in advance

Happy Linux User
--
Happy Linux User
Old April 1st 04, 12:48 PM
Odysseus

Venona Wickstrom wrote:

I know it's math but it does fit in some way into astronomy field which is
why I'm posting here.

There are several math groups that would be more appropriate.

I don't understand following question... Can anyone telll me what am I
suppose to do..?
Question The function y=f(x) is given. Describe how the graphs of the
following functions can be obtained from the graph of y=f(x).
(a) y = f(x)+5

What am I suppose to do with this?

Compare the graph of some f(x) with that of f(x) + 5. How does one
relate to the other? In other words, given f(x) how might you draw a
graph of f(x) + 5 without calculating and plotting the individual
points? You've already given yourself a clue in the subject line ...

2nd question....
I under the y=sequare root x
x y
0 0
1 1
4 2
9 3
16 4

but that's where i'm totally lost

Me, too. It appears that some of the question in missing: what is
"I"? But the table appears correct as a listing of some values of the
function y = sqrt(x).

y=square root x + 2 (x + 2 are underneath square root)
x y
-2 1
-1 2
-2 3
-7 4
-14 5

if x is -2 won't -2 and plus +2 would cross out eachother and answer would
be 0? and same confusion i have with rest of y-axis.

There's definitely something wrong here; the tabulated points don't
even lie on a parabola. The first three taken alone suggest a
left-opening parabola with vertex (-1,2); an equation for the latter is

y = 2 +/- sqrt(-(x+1)),

which produces a table like this:
x y
-2 1
-1 2
-2 3
-5 4
-10 5.

OTOH the graph of y = +/- sqrt(x+2) is a right-opening parabola with
vertex (-2,0), giving values of
x y
-2 0
-1 +/- 1