canon ixus 400 vs canon powershot a80 - simple astrophotography?

Old November 16th 03, 10:51 AM
David Randell

Default canon ixus 400 vs canon powershot a80 - simple astrophotography?

Hi everybody,

Has anyone any experience using either of these 4MP cameras for simple
astrophotography? If so any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave Randell

Old November 16th 03, 03:40 PM
Matthew Ota

I get good results with the 2 Megapixel Canon Powershot A60.
It retails for only $230 and it has a great bayonet mount on it.

David Randell wrote:

Hi everybody,

Has anyone any experience using either of these 4MP cameras for simple
astrophotography? If so any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave Randell

Matthew B. Ota
Orange County Astronomers Astroimagers SIG
http://www.ocastronomers.org/
Telescopes In Education (TIE)
http://tie.jpl.nasa.gov/tie/index.html
Jet Propulsion Laboratory Saturn Observation Campaign
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/soc/

Old November 17th 03, 01:39 AM
Elysium Fossa

I dont think the S400 has any manual photographic controls, unlike the new
A80. Control over shutter speed/aperture etc are important for
astrophotography.

Old November 17th 03, 02:14 PM
Alan Charlesworth

In article ,
"Elysium Fossa" wrote:

I dont think the S400 has any manual photographic controls, unlike the new
A80. Control over shutter speed/aperture etc are important for
astrophotography.

The S400 is mostly auto, but you can manually set long exposures from 1
to 15 second with noise reduction.

Old November 17th 03, 08:01 PM
David Randell

The S400 is mostly auto, but you can manually set long exposures from 1
to 15 second with noise reduction.

It also has focus lock which if I understand this right means you set it to
some preset value, then it remains so until you undo that operation. So I
guess this means one can lock it at infinity for afocal imaging? What is
does not have is a threaded lens mount (unlike the a80 which uses a special
adapter that fits to the body) which might be a problem. Also I am unsure
how recessed the lens is, and if that's a problem too.

Thanks by the way for all the replies. If anyone knows of any web sites
showing astro images taken with the S400 or the a80, I'd appreciate a few
pointers.

Regards,
Dave Randell