Opinions on Optical Test Teport

Old September 15th 03, 07:27 PM
Brian A

Default Opinions on Optical Test Teport

Knowing very little about the science of optics, I'd like to hear
opinions on the following test report results. This is a report on a
180mm IMD Mak.

Wave front error - 1/4 wave.
Strehl ratio - 94%
Resolution - 0.7 arc sec.
Spot Size - 14 microns
All tests at 555 nanometers

How do these results measurte up? Good? Bad? OK?

Thanks
Brian A
Old September 15th 03, 08:03 PM
Bob May

Not that good of a telescope with only 1/4 wave accuracy on the wavefront.
This means that it barely meets the Raleigh Criteria for a minimally
acceptable telescope.
For a commercial scope, that is really about typical for the catiotropic
class of instruments.

--
There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans!
Go count if you don't believe me!

Old September 15th 03, 08:37 PM
Gary Hand

Brian, most of the 180mm Maks we have seen had numbers in the 1/7th wave
and Strehl Ratios on the 96% and above range.
Gary

Old September 15th 03, 11:43 PM
Brian A

Thanks all, that's what I was afraid of.

Brian A

Old September 19th 03, 08:36 AM
Jan van Gastel

A Strehl of 0.94 is good. It says more then the 1/4 wave.

--
Jan
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/

"Brian A" schreef in bericht