Possible meteorite hit?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Possible meteorite hit?

I just received an e-mail (11:30 am EST 12/22/08) from my friends at
Kopernik Observatory (www.kopernik.org) asking for help examining a possible
meteorite fall from a few hours ago. My question is: How do you tell a
meteorite from some other falling object? Other than checking for burn
evidence, magnetic and metallic properties and possible radioactivity, what
else should we check to determine what this "rock" is?

Here's want I know so far:

"We just got a call from emergency services in Port Crane, New York. He said
this morning a couple (names deleted) were eating breakfast and a loud crash
sent them to their garage, where they say a big rock had crashed thru the
window and made a hole in the concrete floor. The owner said the angle of
trajectory was such that it couldn't have come from Earth, and saw no
footprints or other signs nearby."

George N

FL Meteorite = Big $$$$$ G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 21 June 10th 08 12:29 AM
Meteorite? Trevor UK Astronomy 7 December 15th 06 08:28 PM
Is this a Meteorite? Help Please. Ken Amateur Astronomy 18 July 9th 06 08:22 AM
Meteorite howard UK Astronomy 6 January 2nd 05 10:12 PM
Meteorite Lloyd Jones Misc 17 June 14th 04 11:35 PM