Meteorshower

Old August 11th 09, 09:40 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Meteorshower

So is the increased activity the next few days going to cause any damage to
the iss. OK so it has not happened so far, but it always seems to me that
there are increased risks at such times.

Brian

Email:

Old August 11th 09, 08:02 PM posted to sci.space.station
Damon Hill[_4_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
om:

So is the increased activity the next few days going to cause any
damage to the iss. OK so it has not happened so far, but it always
seems to me that there are increased risks at such times.

Who knows? The chance always exists that significant damage
could occur. The risk is considered acceptable.

--Damon

Old August 12th 09, 03:40 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

Damon Hill wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
om:

So is the increased activity the next few days going to cause any
damage to the iss. OK so it has not happened so far, but it always
seems to me that there are increased risks at such times.

Who knows? The chance always exists that significant damage
could occur. The risk is considered acceptable.

The Perseids occur every year, so this is the eleventh one since the
first element of ISS was launched.
Old August 12th 09, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.station
Dr J R Stockton[_40_]

In sci.space.station message
a.com, Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:40:02, Brian Gaff
posted:
So is the increased activity the next few days going to cause any damage to
the iss. OK so it has not happened so far, but it always seems to me that
there are increased risks at such times.

Insignificantly.

You may have heard that our Press has written "sky full of meteors", but
no more than a few hundred per hour can be expected to be visible from a
single location - and that represents an area of sky up to 100 km
square. And the vast majority of those are in the range grain-of-dust
to grain-of-sand, which cannot do any real harm to ISS.

I suppose the Crew can readily see meteors entering below them, even
without the Cupola - but they might prefer not to take a walk outside to
watch, just in case ...

Of course, if one even a fraction of the size of the Sudan meteor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_TC3 were to transit ISS along a path
intersecting both toilets, they'd be very seriously aggrieved.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old August 13th 09, 12:49 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_142_]

Reading in Two Sides of the Moon, David Scott mentions that during his
Gemini flight he and Armstrong noticed flashes of light below them. They
realized that these were meteors. Then the sobering thought hit them that
if they we were seeing the meteors BELOW them, the meteors had to have
passed by them.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...
Ah, but this is a much bigger target now. I wondered if they mitigated
risks by pointing the smallest profile toward the expected direction
during such meteor showers?

Brian