FWD: DA using Mecano parts

Old May 30th 04, 01:54 PM
OM

Default FWD: DA using Mecano parts

http://www.meccano.us/differential_a..._da/index.html

....Now, if only I could find that one done with Lego robotics parts
that popped up a few years back.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 30th 04, 04:54 PM
Henry Spencer

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
http://www.meccano.us/differential_a..._da/index.html

Not, of course, a new idea... The second differential analyzer in the
world was Hartree and Porter's 1934 Meccano design -- although they
cheated by using some non-Meccano parts -- which was built purely as a
model of the larger machine they planned next, but to everyone's surprise
turned out to be accurate to 1-2% and quite useful for problems where that
was adequate.

(Several laboratories had started construction of differential analyzers
in imitation of the original at MIT, but H&P's Meccano model was finished
first because it was so cheap and needed so few custom-made parts.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old May 31st 04, 04:23 AM
David M. Palmer

In article , OM
wrote:

http://www.meccano.us/differential_a..._da/index.html

...Now, if only I could find that one done with Lego robotics parts
that popped up a few years back.

He also has a Difference Engine, if you prefer digital.
http://www.meccano.us/difference_engines/rde_1/

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Old June 1st 04, 01:09 PM
OM

In article , OM
wrote:

http://www.meccano.us/differential_a..._da/index.html

...Now, if only I could find that one done with Lego robotics parts
that popped up a few years back.

He also has a Difference Engine, if you prefer digital.
http://www.meccano.us/difference_engines/rde_1/

....And on *that* note, look what's been resurrected using both
original and new parts:

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 2nd 04, 03:19 PM
Steve at fivetrees

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...And on *that* note, look what's been resurrected using both
original and new parts:

Yeah, I saw that (Colossus Mk II rebuilt). One of these days I'm gonna get
myself up to Bletchley Park and see that thing - I have almost as many books
about Enigma etc as I do about NASA .

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Old June 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
Pat Flannery

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Yeah, I saw that (Colossus Mk II rebuilt). One of these days I'm gonna get
myself up to Bletchley Park and see that thing - I have almost as many books
about Enigma etc as I do about NASA .

I imagine you have those computer simulations for Enigma, like I do. I
had some fun with those on the newsgroup a couple of years ago by
sending Enigma-coded messages to the members of Little Orphan Mary's
"Shafer Secret Space Society" using X-plane designations to set the code
wheels and stecker: http://makeashorterlink.com/?K26363678
OM thought I had completely wigged out on this one...
I was surprised to find that the mechanical pushbutton coded door lock
where I work uses an internal gearwheel system that works on somewhat
the same principle as the Enigma's rotors.

Pat

Old June 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
Steve at fivetrees

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
I imagine you have those computer simulations for Enigma, like I do.

Er, nope, I didn't. But I've found the site and will soon remedy that .
Thanks for the pointer.

I had some fun with those on the newsgroup a couple of years ago by
sending Enigma-coded messages to the members of Little Orphan Mary's
"Shafer Secret Space Society" using X-plane designations to set the code
wheels and stecker: http://makeashorterlink.com/?K26363678
OM thought I had completely wigged out on this one...

Heh .

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Old June 3rd 04, 05:57 AM
Pat Flannery

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

I imagine you have those computer simulations for Enigma, like I do.

Er, nope, I didn't. But I've found the site and will soon remedy that .
Thanks for the pointer.

This is the place to go to:
http://frode.home.cern.ch/frode/crypto/simula/ .....they are small
downloads, and work like a charm; they even let you trace the path the
signal took through the rotors,and light up the letters as well as make
a noise as the rotors rotate.

Pat

Old June 3rd 04, 04:18 PM
Steve at fivetrees

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
This is the place to go to:
http://frode.home.cern.ch/frode/crypto/simula/

Noted - thanks.

.....they are small
downloads, and work like a charm; they even let you trace the path the
signal took through the rotors,and light up the letters as well as make
a noise as the rotors rotate.

Cor! Fun!

Steve
(who is seriously considering writing a similar GUI simulation of a
reel-to-reel tape player, simply 'cos I love watching the 10" reels going
round at 15ips.... sad, eh?)
http://www.fivetrees.com