"Modern Moon" vs. "Observing the Moon"

Old December 2nd 04, 08:17 PM
Jay Loughlin

Default "Modern Moon" vs. "Observing the Moon"

I am considering purchasing a copy of Charles Wood's THE MODERN MOON:
A PERSONAL VIEW. I currently have a copy of Gerald North's OBSERVING
THE MOON and am wondering how the two books compare other than
North's being 165 pp. longer than Wood's. Is the focus different, is
there a lot of overlap in selection of objects for viewing?

Jay Loughlin
Old December 2nd 04, 08:43 PM
CLT

Chuck Wood's Book will give you a much better understanding of the lunar
geology involved in producing what you observe.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

m...

Old December 2nd 04, 09:18 PM
francis marion

Having read and used both books I believe that I got something out of
both............. however, I must agree with the previous poster.

If you really want to learn lunar geology that is understandable, I would
read a section in "Modern Moon" and then go out and observe the moon, by
what ever means you have available to you. You can't help but learn
something new and interesting from Wood's book.

North's book was much drier reading. More like an inventory of lunar
features. I just got more out of Modern Moon than I did out of Observing
the Moon.

My 2 bit's

Francis Marion

Old December 4th 04, 09:30 PM
Walter Wood

The US Geological Survey published "The Geologic History of the Moon", USGS
Professional Paper 1348. The original was scanned in and is avaiable in PDF
at http://cps.earth.northwestern.edu/GHM/ The book is over 300 pages and
the file is large.

HTH
Walter

Old December 5th 04, 08:45 PM
Jay Loughlin

Sounds like both are worth having.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jay
Old December 6th 04, 01:47 AM
Orion

My motto is, "no such thing as a bad moon book"!
Clearskies!
Orion
"Jay Loughlin" wrote in message
m...
Sounds like both are worth having.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jay

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Space Calendar - April 30, 2004 Ron Misc 0 April 30th 04 03:55 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM