OT - Meet Ford Prefect

Old April 28th 10, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_942_]

Default OT - Meet Ford Prefect

Pat Flannery wrote:
So _that's_ where "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" name came
from:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2010/...thats-english/
A Rolls-Royce this ain't. :-)

You didn't know that?

Pat

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old April 28th 10, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_3_]

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in
m:

Pat Flannery wrote:
So _that's_ where "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" name came
from:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2010/...thats-english/
A Rolls-Royce this ain't. :-)

You didn't know that?

No, but we should have expected it, given the source...

--Damon

Old April 28th 10, 08:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Pat Flannery wrote:
So _that's_ where "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" name came
from:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2010/...thats-english/
A Rolls-Royce this ain't. :-)

You didn't know that?

No, but we should have expected it, given the source...

I finished The Long Dark Teatime for the Soul not too long ago. I was LMAO
before the end of the first page. The Dirk Gently books are always good for
a laugh.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old April 28th 10, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
So _that's_ where "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" name came from:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2010/...thats-english/
A Rolls-Royce this ain't. :-)

Ah, but the model in the ad would qualify (well, be damn close) under
the latest U.S. CAFE requirements. Not shabby for something from '58
Of course, it probably wouldn't meet the current safety requirements.

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of
"when", sometimes "where"; always "how much." - Joubert
Old April 29th 10, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
So _that's_ where "The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy" name came from:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2010/...thats-english/
A Rolls-Royce this ain't. :-)

Nicely inconspicuous.
Old April 29th 10, 01:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

No, I thought it was supposed to be a alien picking a oddball name for
himself that didn't fit in, like John Bigboote in "Buckaroo Banzai".

The opposite, as it happens. Believing that cars were the dominant life-form on the planet, he picked the name Ford
Prefect so as to blend in.

Old April 29th 10, 05:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
jay walsh

Neil Gerace wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

No, I thought it was supposed to be a alien picking a oddball name for
himself that didn't fit in, like John Bigboote in "Buckaroo Banzai".

The opposite, as it happens. Believing that cars were the dominant
life-form on the planet, he picked the name Ford Prefect so as to blend in.

In the movie, the car that Ford introduces himself to is a Ford Prefect.

Jay
Old April 29th 10, 08:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/28/2010 4:39 PM, Neil Gerace wrote:

Nicely inconspicuous.

Not as cute as the Nash Metropolitan though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan
The cheery two-tone paint schemes just made that car.
One of my favorite odd cars is the German Messerschmitt
bubble car, which originally was powered by the two-stroke gasoline
engine that was housed in the intake cone of the Junkers-Jumo 004
turbojet that powered the wartime Me-262 jet fighter, and was used to
spin the turbine up to ignition speed.

Pat

OBIT: Gerald R. Ford, dead at 93 OM History 1 December 28th 06 09:39 AM
OBIT: John M. Ford OM History 3 September 28th 06 04:37 AM
GOP's 76 Ford To Dock With New Rolls? BEAR Space Station 0 July 5th 06 03:14 PM
Ford Observatory Breakin Jeff R. Schroeder Amateur Astronomy 13 September 28th 05 08:09 PM
OT- Thunderbirds FAB 1.. a FORD?! Pat Flannery History 14 December 15th 03 08:00 AM