"Scotch-Brite" Lens Cleaning Cloth

Old July 14th 03, 03:50 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default "Scotch-Brite" Lens Cleaning Cloth

The package says:

"Ideal for eyeglass lenses, camera lenses, BINOCULARS
(let's throw telescopes in here), microscopes, and other
delicate surfaces."

Is it really?

Might one put a lens cleaning cloth purchased at Wal-Mart
to a fine refractor's objective without getting that sinking
feeling?

Alan

Old July 14th 03, 07:06 AM
Doogie Hoosier

Alan W. Craft wrote in message . ..
The package says:

"Ideal for eyeglass lenses, camera lenses, BINOCULARS
(let's throw telescopes in here), microscopes, and other
delicate surfaces."

Is it really?

Might one put a lens cleaning cloth purchased at Wal-Mart
to a fine refractor's objective without getting that sinking
feeling?

Alan

One might. But one probably shouldn't.

It *could* be the same as the "micro-fiber" lens cloths sold in camera
stores, but I wouldn't like them either unless I plan to toss them
after one use.
Old July 14th 03, 05:11 PM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:50:19 -0500, Alan W. Craft
wrote:

The package says:

"Ideal for eyeglass lenses, camera lenses, BINOCULARS
(let's throw telescopes in here), microscopes, and other
delicate surfaces."

Is it really?

Might one put a lens cleaning cloth purchased at Wal-Mart
to a fine refractor's objective without getting that sinking
feeling?

Alan

What's your scope lens worth?
What does a bag of cotton balls and some lens cleaner cost?
Case closed.
-Rich
Old July 14th 03, 05:36 PM
Doogie Hoosier

Alan W. Craft wrote in message . ..
On 13 Jul 2003 23:06:05 -0700, (Doogie Hoosier) ...reflected:

Alan W. Craft wrote in message . ..
The package says:

"Ideal for eyeglass lenses, camera lenses, BINOCULARS
(let's throw telescopes in here), microscopes, and other
delicate surfaces."

Is it really?

Might one put a lens cleaning cloth purchased at Wal-Mart
to a fine refractor's objective without getting that sinking
feeling?

Alan

One might. But one probably shouldn't.

It *could* be the same as the "micro-fiber" lens cloths sold in camera
stores, but I wouldn't like them either unless I plan to toss them
after one use.

It says on the package that it's washable and reusable hundreds
of times, and looks like it wouldn't do any harm, except perhaps for the
serged edge.

What is the best lens cleaning item?

Alan

One tiny piece of dirt stuck in the cloth can scratch your lens.

I prefer distilled water (breath fog) and the use-once-throw-away lens
cleaning tissues made especially for camera lenses.

But the BEST is the LEAST. Don't clean if you don't really need to.
Try to dislodge dust with air (don't blow on it), or a very soft
brush. I use a brush made for cleaning dust off film. If you have to
resort to a cleaning fluid, use the stuff camera stores sell, or...

There are a number of home-brews ranging from a weak solution of
detergent or alcohol and water, to acetone to spit. Some use cotton
balls in these solutions (not the spit).

I'm sure a little searching on the 'net can turn up many other
opinions.

I have a C-8 that I bought in the 1980's that has never been cleaned
except for removing lint and dust from the corrector. It is very hard
to clean a lens without leaving cleaning marks, so be sure you really
need to do it first. Some people actually return their scopes/lenses
to the manufacturers for cleaning.
Old July 15th 03, 04:28 PM
Jon Isaacs

Oh, I just don't know; the cloth looks to be very effective,
that is, as long as you don't use its serged edge.

Alan

Probably works fine as long as you avoid cleaning the lens.

jon