Stephen Hawking: Beware The Aliens!

Old April 28th 10, 08:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Stephen Hawking: Beware The Aliens!

On 4/27/2010 7:52 PM, David Spain wrote:

I blame Don Herbert and Leonard Nimoy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Herbert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

Yeah, but Nimoy's show dealt with borderline science, so that wasn't in
the same category as Sagan's Parade Magazine crap, like when he
predicted that the Kuwaiti oil well fires were going to kill off all the
cute little bunnies in the world or something.
And as Perfect Tommy said in "Buckaroo Banzai", Mr. Wizard WAS a great
scientist.
His show demonstrated scientific concepts via in-studio experiments; in
one memorable show from my childhood including doing an electric arc
submerged in gasoline to show that without air it wouldn't ignite.
I was almost hiding behind the couch when he did that one, convinced I
was going to see Mr. Wizard incinerated right before my eyes.
Sure, it would have been cool to see...but a terrible loss to science -
like when Jacques Cousteau tried to pet the giant squid to show how it
was just misunderstood by everyone and not really some sort of sea
monster...and the God-damned thing bit his head off and used its
tentacles to tear him into ten pieces.
Someday the footage of that incident is going to surface on YouTube.

Pat

Maybe Stephen Hawking has a point? (evil aliens) Rich[_1_] Amateur Astronomy 34 April 30th 10 11:02 PM
HOW STEPHEN HAWKING CHANGED THE WORLD Pentcho Valev Astronomy Misc 3 June 29th 08 06:50 AM
Stephen Hawking Pat Flannery History 8 June 16th 06 11:18 AM
Stephen Hawking MoFo Amateur Astronomy 4 June 16th 06 05:56 AM
re stephen hawking refutation of big bang Arth6831 Misc 47 November 14th 03 08:27 AM