Alt.binaries.pictures.astro

Old October 15th 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Davies

Default Alt.binaries.pictures.astro

Hi group,
On the above mentioned newsgroup, there are a large number of messages
by "G" to Richard Crisp, a contributor, detailing Hubble Telescope
pictures. As I have a slow dial-up connection these downloads are
causing a major bottleneck in collecting news. Is this peculiar to me,
or is everyone experiencing this behaviour? And, is there anything I can
do about it?

Thanks,
jpd
--
John Davies
Old October 15th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
news.tin

John,
I haven't seen G's post for a while, none even today. Maybe he/she is not
inserting the heading word in the subject thus the posts are filtered away.
You can easily kill-file the OP, following the directions your browser/mail
software.
Clear skies,

-----
Beta Persei
45° 35' N
8° 51' E

Old October 16th 09, 01:23 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Williams

Wasn't it John Davies who wrote:
Hi group,
On the above mentioned newsgroup, there are a large number of messages
by "G" to Richard Crisp, a contributor, detailing Hubble Telescope
pictures. As I have a slow dial-up connection these downloads are
causing a major bottleneck in collecting news. Is this peculiar to me,
or is everyone experiencing this behaviour? And, is there anything I
can do about it?

An alternative strategy for accessing binary groups on a slow connection
is to use a separate usenet downloader, such as Grabbit, rather than
your normal text newsreader.
http://www.shemes.com/
This allows you to choose which posts you want to download.

Grabbit is free for normal use, only requiring a subscription if you
want to use the Schemes usenet search facility.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
Old October 16th 09, 01:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

John Davies wrote:
Hi group,
On the above mentioned newsgroup, there are a large number of messages
by "G" to Richard Crisp, a contributor, detailing Hubble Telescope
pictures. As I have a slow dial-up connection these downloads are
causing a major bottleneck in collecting news. Is this peculiar to me,
or is everyone experiencing this behaviour? And, is there anything I can
do about it?

Thanks,
jpd

2 or 3 pics a day, mostly not hubble, but why read a binary group
when you dont want binaries????????????????
Old October 16th 09, 03:07 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Davies

Hi Group,

Thanks for the replies. I learn a lot from viewing other peoples
excellent images displayed in Alt.binaries.pictures.astro. And wish to
continue to do so. Is there an alternative way/site to view these? "
Gentleman of leisure " has suggested one way, but I remember there was a
site dedicated to posts by amateurs which I have lost after changing
computers.

JPD

In message , John Davies
writes

Old October 16th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Beta Persei

Yes, John you can view the repost of ABPA he
http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Enjoy,
--
Beta Persei
45° 35' N

Remove "_nospam" to reply

Old October 16th 09, 09:57 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"John Davies" wrote in message
Hi Group,

Thanks for the replies. I learn a lot from viewing other peoples excellent
images displayed in Alt.binaries.pictures.astro. And wish to continue to
do so. Is there an alternative way/site to view these? "

You could set your newsreader to download headers only - the newsreader
should be able to tell you the size of the posting (including any
attachments) and you only do the full download on those you actually choose
to open.

Old October 16th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Blackall

In article ,
John Davies wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I learn a lot from viewing other peoples
excellent images displayed in Alt.binaries.pictures.astro. And wish to
continue to do so. Is there an alternative way/site to view these? "
Gentleman of leisure " has suggested one way, but I remember there was a
site dedicated to posts by amateurs which I have lost after changing
computers.

If your link is fast enough to load any pictures at all you could try going
direct to NASA and JPL websites and then clicking on only those links which
are of interest.

You MUST have broadband though if you want to see the detail available in
the stunning HiRISE images from Mars.

I can sympathise as one who has only relatively recently been broadbanded.
As others have suggested, kill-filing over-prolix contributors is probably
your best solution OR subscribe to sci.space.news where you get news
straight from the horse's mouth with descriptions of what the pictures show.

--
Rodney Blackall (retired meteorologist)(BSc, FRMetS)
Buckingham, ENGLAND