Now that was strange....

Old August 6th 05, 08:53 AM
jg

Default Now that was strange....

Just watched Discovery undock from ISS...

Could of sworn as Discovery moved away that it looked like something was
floating away from the Shuttle cargo bay in the general direction of ISS
(slightly to the left).

Whoever was controlling the camera on the shuttle immediately tried to zoom
in on what ever this object was, but as they zoomed towards it, it began to
look more of like a glare.

E. Collins mentioned it, and mission control said they were sure it was some
type of glare.

Anybody else see this? I'm wondering if something wasn't tied down around
the docking collar, and when the shuttle moved away it floated out. It
looked to me like the object had a slow rotation going, but I can't be sure.
Watching online.

Thanks.

jg

Old August 6th 05, 08:33 PM
c-bee1

"jg" wrote in message
[...]

On the view of the end of the station as they pulled away (a tin can
assemblage sticking down from the top of the screen, slowly receding) I saw
a small object, apparently tumbling, move from the bottom center of the
screen, curving up and to the right, then when it crossed the center area of
the screen it straightened out and headed toward the upper right corner.

I didn't see anyone zoom in on the object per se, but I was watching the
object itself and noting that its path was not initially linear. But like I
say, it straightened up right away. And I damn sure saw it, for a good 5
seconds or so.

The view I'm talking about is in the mission highlights a minute or so
after sep is, right after the view from the receding orbiter docking
assembly. But I didn't see the object in the highlights .

Old August 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"jg" wrote in
:

Just watched Discovery undock from ISS...

Could of sworn as Discovery moved away that it looked like something
was floating away from the Shuttle cargo bay in the general direction
of ISS (slightly to the left).

Whoever was controlling the camera on the shuttle immediately tried to
zoom in on what ever this object was, but as they zoomed towards it,
it began to look more of like a glare.

E. Collins mentioned it, and mission control said they were sure it
was some type of glare.

Anybody else see this? I'm wondering if something wasn't tied down
around the docking collar, and when the shuttle moved away it floated
out. It looked to me like the object had a slow rotation going, but I
can't be sure. Watching online.

From the RMS elbow camera, it appeared that a small piece of debris came
out of the vestibule right after undocking. It's a high-traffic area so
it's easy for debris to get stuck in the nooks and crannies, then get loose
after undocking. The crew cleans it out before undocking but apparently
they missed something. Looks like one of the crewmembers owes the rest a
beer!

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old August 7th 05, 11:41 PM
Evelyn Street

looked like something was
floating away from the Shuttle cargo bay in the general direction of ISS
(slightly to the left).

yes it was a piece of the shuttle came off!
and it doesn't bode well for reentry with a piece gone from the craft!