Runaway Global Warming Possible!

Old March 1st 05, 04:14 AM
Klaus Heitman

Lloyd Parker wrote:

There are a large number in Iraq who want a religious government, one based
on Islam. Until recently, the party which won had a platform calling for
it. If that's what they want instead of democracy, shouldn't they be
allowed to have it?

As long as they reconfirm that view every four years in a free and fair
election?
Old March 1st 05, 09:50 AM
Lloyd Parker

Klaus Heitman wrote:
Lloyd Parker wrote:

There are a large number in Iraq who want a religious government, one

based
on Islam. Until recently, the party which won had a platform calling

for
it. If that's what they want instead of democracy, shouldn't they be
allowed to have it?

As long as they reconfirm that view every four years in a free and fair
election?

What if the government they want is a theocracy, where the leaders are
installed by god? Are we to tell them they must violate that by having men
vote?
Old March 1st 05, 10:18 AM

In article , "Paul Blay" writes:
*follow-ups trimmed*

wrote ...
A psychotic may feel contempt towards some group of people, say (just
for example), black women and act violently based on this feeling. If
he does act, the will hold him in contempt. The sentiment is the same
in both cases, one of contempt. Yet, any claim to the effect that
since the sentiment is the same, both sides are equivalent, is
ridiculous, to put it mildly.

If the distinction is lost on you, I cannot help you.

So can you see the distinction between a violent psychotic and someone
who makes exaggerated and insulting comments about the US?

Yes, I can. And, at some level of exaggeration, I can feel nothing
but contempt toward said someone. Not quite the level of contempt I
would feel towards the violent psychotic, possibly, but contempt
nevertheless.

That's besides the point, though. The point of the exercise is, same
sentiment doesn't translate into "moral equivalence". Clear?

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
Old March 1st 05, 10:36 AM
Paul Blay

wrote ...
In article , "Paul Blay" writes:
*follow-ups trimmed*

So can you see the distinction between a violent psychotic and someone
who makes exaggerated and insulting comments about the US?

Yes, I can. And, at some level of exaggeration, I can feel nothing
but contempt toward said someone. Not quite the level of contempt I
would feel towards the violent psychotic, possibly, but contempt
nevertheless.

That's besides the point, though. The point of the exercise is, same
sentiment doesn't translate into "moral equivalence". Clear?

The point is contempt, at whatever level, is all fine and dandy for
someone insulting something you hold dear but to hold them as
less than human isn't on.

I personally would be reluctant to come to the conclusion that a
violent psychotic as less than human but there is at least some
basis for that (assuming you intended these sort of people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy )
in that they generally lack certain mental facilities that can be
considered to be an essential part of humanity.
Old March 1st 05, 05:10 PM
Klaus Heitman

Lloyd Parker wrote:

In article ,
Klaus Heitman wrote:

Lloyd Parker wrote:

There are a large number in Iraq who want a religious government, one

based

on Islam. Until recently, the party which won had a platform calling

for

it. If that's what they want instead of democracy, shouldn't they be
allowed to have it?

As long as they reconfirm that view every four years in a free and fair
election?

What if the government they want is a theocracy, where the leaders are
installed by god? Are we to tell them they must violate that by having men
vote?

Thats where Bush comes in. He bombs them back into the stone age.
Old March 4th 05, 04:05 PM
Christopher M. Jones

Rand Simberg wrote:
Or do you really believe that OJ didn't murder his wife and her
friend?

This thread is certainly hitting all the bases. Let's see,
we've already run through the war on terror, Bush, Clinton,
now we're on to OJ. Might as well just go for the whole
shebang:

(cue the family guy)

Microsoft sucks
Apple sucks
Jesus sucks
Krypton sucks
The Yankees suck
The Red Sox suck
C++ sucks
Java sucks
Marvel sucks
DC comics sucks

Have I left anything out?
Old March 4th 05, 07:12 PM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:05:06 -0600, in a place far, far away,
"Christopher M. Jones" made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:
Or do you really believe that OJ didn't murder his wife and her
friend?

This thread is certainly hitting all the bases. Let's see,
we've already run through the war on terror, Bush, Clinton,
now we're on to OJ. Might as well just go for the whole
shebang:

Hey, why not. It's up to well over a thousand posts now.