Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

Old January 29th 04, 06:13 AM
Stephen Paul

Default Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

"Bruce" wrote in message

I have to look at keeping all my family away from this. I will talk to

my
Bishop and see what he thinks.

uh oh we better knock it off or he's going to tell the bishop on us

ROTFLMAO!!!

Old January 29th 04, 06:39 AM
Zaphod

Clay, a.k.a. "Scientific Cabby", you're "Busted"!!! You troll!!

-Zaphod

-------
post #1:
-------
see :

From: Scientific Cabby
Newsgroups: rec.org.mensa
Subject: Use Submarine as Spaceship!
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:23:04 -0700

This is my new Idea for spaceship of future Today!!!!

Why Not use SUBMARINE as space ship? Isnot SUBMARINE already in hostile
water enviroment? Not all that much difference between preasure being
inside or outside! and All They have nearly endless Nuclear Power Now and
are used to hold in air and good working enviromewnt for crew.
....(snip)...
Symposium in New York this spring should be organixed I will be available
soon and will be able to go to New York for these meetings, and would be
interested in meeting all sorts of Americans including both Scientists
and if possible American women with large breasts.

-------
post #2:
-------
From: Scientific Cabby
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: UO 32mm MK-80 eyepiece
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:23:54 -0700
From: CG
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Are astronomy gathering safe for children?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:43:32 -0700

After a recent experience I had on this board I now have to question my
....(snip)...
Thanks Clay

From: Scientific Cabby
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:23:54 -0700
From: CG
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:43:32 -0700

From: Scientific Cabby
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:23:54 -0700
From: CG
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:43:32 -0700

Old January 29th 04, 07:12 AM
jerry warner

The MASSIVE respone to your post trying to help should tell you where
the bulk of this group is. Nobody can offer you guarantees to your every
waking moment through life.

You might want to consult a professional so you can offer the balanced
security children need, so they in turn can develop and acquire useful
interests and emotional stability to perhaps become astronomers or
whatever they want, and contribute to saa.

Good luck -

Jerry

CG wrote:

After a recent experience I had on this board I now have to question my
involvement in amateur astronomy at best and weather I can allow my
children to take part at worst.
While checking s.a.a. for on of the first times I made the error of
clicking on a link to what I thought would be images of a members
telescope. I believe we all know where that link led. I also believe we
know how it was greeted with much approval from other posters.
Is this typical of amateur astronomy? What If My Son had been
watching?????????
As I asked in a previous topic is it safe for me to allow my spouse and
children to take part in this hobby? At this point I have to wonder if the
people who take part in it are the sort of people I want my family to
associate with. My wife and I have done our best to install good values in
our children that reflect the values we were brought up by our families and
church. This posting seems to cast some doubt on the wisdom of exposing
them to this hobby.
Thanks Clay

Old January 29th 04, 07:50 AM
Kilolani

"CG" wrote in message

It wasn't spam. It was a link to a disgusting web site. Pictures of a
female model posed with a Meade telescope. It was some ones sick idea of
sexy I expect. What it was was a picture that promoted every obscene male
fantasy of a lady along with a telescope making it I guess astronomy
related.
There was a single post in objection until someone came along later and
called the porno mongers out on their game. No one agreed with the poster
(though a google search of his posting name does suggest why he isn't

taken
seriously) they thought he was being funny and basically defended the
posting of porno!
Clay

Dear Shawn (oops, I mean Clay... yeah, that's it, Clay) *nudge nudge* *wink
wink*

Since it was your "first" time on s.a.a. let me give you a quarter to buy a
clue. Next time a link says (**Adults only**), don't let your children click
on it... in fact (unless you like pornograpy), don't click on it yourself.

*duh*