Are streetlights the answer to safety and crime?

Old January 27th 16, 06:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
boisenberry

Default Are streetlights the answer to safety and crime?

Very good video. Maybe it's time to rethink how we light our streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9d...ature=youtu.be
A lot less CO2 as well as money saved.
Worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTRzBFKfhc
Old January 27th 16, 06:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 19:23:38 UTC+1, boisenberry wrote:
Very good video. Maybe it's time to rethink how we light our streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9d...ature=youtu.be
A lot less CO2 as well as money saved.
Worth watching!

The same fear of the dark affects younger rural inhabitants. In the absence of street lighting our little group of houses resembles the Close Encounters landing strip on top of the mountain. The are so afraid of the dark that they even leave their multiple outside lights on all day. So that their houses don't get afraid before the inhabitants come home in the dark. Having a proximity/movement sensor and auto night/day switch would save them money and bring the attention of the entire neighborhood to anybody arriving in the dark. Constant lighting just lights the way for the burglars. Sensors should be made compulsory for *ALL* outside lights *including* street lights..
Old January 28th 16, 01:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 13:23:38 UTC-5, boisenberry wrote:
Very good video. Maybe it's time to rethink how we light our streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9d...ature=youtu.be
A lot less CO2 as well as money saved.
Worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTRzBFKfhc

According to a study out of Sweden, increased lighting at night facilitated robberies instead of detering them. The s--- 1950's style streetlights pour light sideways and up into the sky. Adding to light pollution, making it dangerous to drive in rain, etc. FULLY shielded lighting, as they have at airports should be MANDATORY for all cities. The old lighting should be eliminated.
Old January 28th 16, 07:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 6:23:38 PM UTC, boisenberry wrote:
Very good video. Maybe it's time to rethink how we light our streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9d...ature=youtu.be
A lot less CO2 as well as money saved.
Worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTRzBFKfhc

That's right, when you can't manage to affirm that the Earth is round, rotating and turns at a rate of 15 degrees per hour and once each 24 hours then start talking about street lighting,tax or whatever.

It is not about a group of dummies who emerged in the late 17th century and lunged at a conclusion based on stellar circumpolar motion which disrupts the explanation which ties the Lat/Long system to the 24 hour system using the planet's round and rotating characteristics, it is the actual enjoyable history which creates timekeeping in sequence of a framework that renders a raw observation of 1461 rotations for 4 orbital circuits and converts it into the familiar calendar format.

It is truly a spectacle to come across people who simply can't affirm the rate of rotation and an equatorial speed of 1037.5 miles per hour leading to the obvious conclusion that the Earth turns through its full 24901 mile circumference in 24 hours.

Never have so many taken pride in such stupidity in going along with stellar circumpolar motion as a guide for one rotation -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSeMLktsC-w

Old January 28th 16, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 02:11:14 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

According to a study out of Sweden, increased lighting at night facilitated robberies instead of detering them. The s--- 1950's style streetlights pour light sideways and up into the sky. Adding to light pollution, making it dangerous to drive in rain, etc. FULLY shielded lighting, as they have at airports should be MANDATORY for all cities. The old lighting should be eliminated.

Rage, rage against the dyeing of the light
Do not go gentle into that yellow night
Old light should rave and burn at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dyeing of the light.