Six-inch apo for $2990? Lunt get hold of some FPL-51?

Old October 9th 15, 07:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Six-inch apo for $2990? Lunt get hold of some FPL-51?

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 2:27:59 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Newtonians of good quality outperform SCTs.

That's certainly what I believed, based on what I read in the amateur
astronomical literature in the past.

However, now that I think of it, there could be a simple cause for this
confusion.

A typical f/8 Newtonian will have better optical quality than a typical Schmidt-
Cassegrain (8", f/10, spherical primary and secondary, not a modern coma-free
design)...

but perhaps an f/5 Newtonian would indeed have worse optical quality.

So you and I are thinking of the traditional ranking of telescopes, back when
the typical Newtonian had a 6" aperture and an equatorial mount... and he's
thinking of Dobs when he thinks of a Newtonian.

Hence, you can both be right.

I am assuming equal apertures in any case, similar focal ratios and similar attention to quality and construction as well. I have no idea what peterson is assuming, but it's bound to be quite bizarre.

Using my assumptions the Newt will win, perhaps even if it were a "Dob."

The SCT looks good from an aperture versus portability standpoint in the 8- to 11-inch range. Below that the differences are mostly trivial from that standpoint. Above that, there are reasonable steps one can take that give the Newt (ie, Dob) the edge.

Old January 16th 16, 07:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 11:23:26 PM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 August 2015 02:59:34 UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 4:35:41 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=884021

As is your right and typical of your kind,you came into a thread yesterday announcing there are such things as 'subhumans' and the need to nuke them but today you have retreated back into you middle class magnification exercise. That thread was drawing attention to the fact that there are vandals and thugs in Western society far worse than those who beheaded the archaeologist and blew up the temple but they operate through the education system by effectively poisoning the ground where astronomy can be learned properly.

How I know this is due to the inability to get a crystal clear response to the proportion of rotations per orbital circuit using a parent observation noted in antiquity and corresponding to an event where a star skips an appearance by one rotation after four cycles of 365 rotations using the arithmetic of sunrises/sunsets.

The equivalent of dynamiting an intellectual temple which links timekeeping to the planetary cycles as a close approximation is this statement -

" During one orbit around the Sun, Earth rotates about its own axis 366.26 times" Earth article, Wikipedia

You ,as representative of your cult, all operate among the ruins of astronomy but unlike physical ruins, the great astronomical structure can be restored almost immediately and in rebuilding it there are so many things to improve.

Speaking of sub-humans...

I don't have much to say about the opportunities these awful creatures take and forget them as quickly, after all, they are people who have lost the run of themselves while thinking of themselves as having something to do with astronomy and this forum centered around astronomy.

The people of my nation were once included as subhumans in context of an evolutionary trajectory between humanity and apes and while feel embarrassed for the people of this island, at least I feel something.