Ten Commandments

Old November 7th 03, 01:22 AM
Michael A. Covington

Default Ten Commandments

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos
we speak likewise is God altogether the Gods this.

Well, Min, Latin is among the many things you apparently don't know!

Old November 7th 03, 02:02 AM
Al Arduengo

"Michael A. Covington" writes:

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos
we speak likewise is God altogether the Gods this.

Well, Min, Latin is among the many things you apparently don't know!

I don't really get the point of his post. Why massacre the Ten
Commandments by badly translating them to and from Latin? Did I miss
something?

And another thing, why does Min keep fudging his identity when he posts?
It seems to me that if a person wants to filter out his posts, Min would
not want to bother trying to fool anyone. Sure, post to the ones who
give a %^&* but changing identity to try and fool the scoring and kill
files only makes those who don't like him feel it even more stongly.
So, really what he must be doing is just trying to bother people which
flies in the face of his claimed desire to teach us.

Honestly, I am not trying to be sarcastic or rhetorical. I actually
don't understand the reasoning.

Min? Why are you so intentionally bothersome? How old are you?

-Al A.
--
~/.signature
Old November 7th 03, 02:14 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message
"Michael A. Covington"

writes:

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos
we speak likewise is God altogether the Gods this.

Well, Min, Latin is among the many things you apparently don't know!

I don't really get the point of his post. Why massacre the Ten
Commandments by badly translating them to and from Latin? Did I miss
something?

I don't think anyone understands Min's posts. However, if you look at them
in a fixed-width font, you see that his real game is that he is typing an
equal number of characters on each line. I suppose that's a sign of
something...

Given that we have the Ten Commandments in Hebrew, I wouldn't go to the
Latin Vulgate (translated from Hebrew to Latin by Jerome c. 400 AD) to find
out what they say. But if you do, you find out that they say the same
thing.

Min's translation, on the other hand, is awful.

"Locutus est" means "(he) spoke," not "we speak."

"Quoque" means "also," not "likewise" (which is admittedly close).

"Dominus" means "(the) Lord," not "God" (again, close but inaccurate).

"Cunctos" (admittedly postclassical) means "all," not "altogether."

And "sermones" is something like "speeches" or "utterances," not "Gods."

So:

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos" =

"The Lord also said all these things":

(where by "things" I render a word that denotes things said).

Old November 7th 03, 02:21 AM
Joe S.

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
in message ...
"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos
we speak likewise is God altogether the Gods this.

Well, Min, Latin is among the many things you apparently don't know!

Hmmm.

Copy the phrase, go to Google, paste it into the search box, and see what
happens.

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos"

--

----
Joe S.

Old November 7th 03, 02:46 AM
Chuck Taylor

writes:
I don't really get the point of his post. Why massacre the Ten
Commandments by badly translating them to and from Latin? Did I miss
something?

Nope, with mini, there is nothing to miss.

And another thing, why does Min keep fudging his identity when he posts?
It seems to me that if a person wants to filter out his posts, Min would
not want to bother trying to fool anyone. Sure, post to the ones who
give a %^&* but changing identity to try and fool the scoring and kill
files only makes those who don't like him feel it even more stongly.
So, really what he must be doing is just trying to bother people which
flies in the face of his claimed desire to teach us.

I think you identified the real purpose there.

Honestly, I am not trying to be sarcastic or rhetorical. I actually
don't understand the reasoning.

Min? Why are you so intentionally bothersome? How old are you?

Old enough to reach mommy's computer

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old November 7th 03, 02:50 AM
Wally Anglesea™

writes:

[...]

I thought it meant "I am Borg"

ducks and runs

--
For the Truth about Planet X,
Phil Plait's excellent summary:
Old November 7th 03, 03:03 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Joe S." wrote in message
"Michael A. Covington"

wrote
in message ...
"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos
we speak likewise is God altogether the Gods this.

Well, Min, Latin is among the many things you apparently don't know!

Hmmm.

Copy the phrase, go to Google, paste it into the search box, and see what
happens.

"locutus quoque est Dominus cunctos sermones hos"

I get several copies of the Vulgate Bible. Your point?

Min quoted the Latin correctly. His translation into English is what was
awful.

Old November 7th 03, 09:11 AM
Joerg Glissmann

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:50:59 GMT, Wally Anglesea™
wrote:

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:14:08 -0500, "Michael A. Covington"
wrote:

cut some latin

Given that we have the Ten Commandments in Hebrew, I wouldn't go to the
Latin Vulgate (translated from Hebrew to Latin by Jerome c. 400 AD) to
find
out what they say. But if you do, you find out that they say the same
thing.

wasn't the first translation of the bible into Greek anyway?

"Locutus est" means "(he) spoke," not "we speak."

I thought it meant "I am Borg"

ducks and runs

Now that would explain the ever changing senders of the posts while the
contents (if any) stay the same.. Lots of remotely controlled drones
posting things thought up by one mother of an addled mind...

I'm scared.

J.

--
Joerg Glissmann

remove pants to reply..
Old November 7th 03, 02:48 PM
Michael A. Covington

Given that we have the Ten Commandments in Hebrew, I wouldn't go to the
Latin Vulgate (translated from Hebrew to Latin by Jerome c. 400 AD) to
find
out what they say. But if you do, you find out that they say the same
thing.

wasn't the first translation of the bible into Greek anyway?

Yes, it was translated into Greek (the Septuagint, c. 250 BC) before it was
translated in to Latin (c. 400 AD). And the New Testament is written in
Greek.