OT/true Can we grow food on Mars?

Old June 26th 16, 09:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default OT/true Can we grow food on Mars?

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 9:02:44 AM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:
Can we grow food on Mars?
By Deborah Byrd in Human World | Space | June 25, 2016
Apparently we can, and you can view details in this video from a talk given
at Mars One's recent private event in Amsterdam.

By now, you've likely seen the movie The Martian, in which Matt Damon plays
a botanist/astronaut trapped alone on Mars. He improvises a farm with
Martian soil, fertilized with human waste, seeded with potatoes saved for a
Thanksgiving meal and watered by extracting hydrogen from leftover rocket
fuel. How realistic is growing food on Mars? Apparently it can be done, and
you can view some details in the video above, posted to YouTube by Mars One
on June 23, 2016.

In case you missed it, Mars One is the not-for-profit foundation whose goal
is to establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. A little over a year
ago, it announced it had selected 50 men and 50 women who would compete via
reality television for a one-way Mars trip, as early as 2024. Checking out a
June 6, 2016 press release from Mars One about its Astronaut Selection Round
Three process, I didn't find the words "television" or "2024." But Mars One
does continue to say:

http://earthsky.org/space/can-we-grow-food-on-mars

I think you need bacteria to produce real soil.

Double-A

Old June 26th 16, 10:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

*** Not in Hollywood ... Liberal bull**** is still the best fertilizer ...

Old June 26th 16, 10:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
je suis charly

In article ,
Double-A wrote:

I think you need bacteria to produce real soil.

You need an ecosystem and chemicals that might be in short supply like nitrogen
gas, oxygen gas, and liquid water. Some of it can be manufactured on Mars; the
rest might be easy to transport, or it might be impossible. Plants create amino
acids with symbiotic bacteria from atmospheric nitrogen. Plants burn sugar like
animals, and need some atmospheric oxygen to start that off.

--
Any one who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments
of the eye are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from