SpaceShip One - good luck!

Old June 21st 04, 03:58 PM
Alan Erskine

Default SpaceShip One - good luck!

Interesting to note that the first 'Humanaut" is 62 and obviously not a
top-of-the-line physical specimen - good advertising for the rest of us who
hope one day to be able to go into space.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old June 21st 04, 04:07 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"Alan Erskine" wrote in
:

Interesting to note that the first 'Humanaut" is 62 and obviously not
a top-of-the-line physical specimen - good advertising for the rest of
us who hope one day to be able to go into space.

Dick Rutan is reporting on CNN that SS1's engine shut down prematurely, but
has confirmed that peak altitude was over 100 km.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old June 21st 04, 04:26 PM
Alan Erskine

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"Alan Erskine" wrote in
:

Interesting to note that the first 'Humanaut" is 62 and obviously not
a top-of-the-line physical specimen - good advertising for the rest of
us who hope one day to be able to go into space.

Dick Rutan is reporting on CNN that SS1's engine shut down prematurely,

but
has confirmed that peak altitude was over 100 km.

That's good news - it means it's capable of even higher altitudes.

WEEEEEEEEE!!!! AWAY WE GO! (yes, if you hadn't realised, I'm quite happy).

Old June 21st 04, 07:13 PM
Derek Lyons

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

Dick Rutan is reporting on CNN that SS1's engine shut down prematurely,
but has confirmed that peak altitude was over 100 km.

That's good news - it means it's capable of even higher altitudes.

No, it means that when loaded to full capacity (which this flight
wasn't) the craft will be able to reach it's target altitude.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 22nd 04, 01:37 AM
T3

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

Dick Rutan is reporting on CNN that SS1's engine shut down prematurely,
but has confirmed that peak altitude was over 100 km.

That's good news - it means it's capable of even higher altitudes.

No, it means that when loaded to full capacity (which this flight
wasn't) the craft will be able to reach it's target altitude.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

China lake reported 112km, they did good............(I heard Edwards said
110)
I was there and saw Alan Shepard on his sub-orbital flight, it's amazing I
was more excited today, WOW!!!

T3

Old June 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
Neil Gerace

"T3" wrote in message
om...

China lake reported 112km, they did good............(I heard Edwards said
110)

flamebaitI wouldn't trust either of them to know what a km is
/flamebait

Congrats to the SS1 team.

Old June 22nd 04, 04:42 AM
Derek Lyons

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

Dick Rutan is reporting on CNN that SS1's engine shut down prematurely,
but has confirmed that peak altitude was over 100 km.

That's good news - it means it's capable of even higher altitudes.

No, it means that when loaded to full capacity (which this flight
wasn't) the craft will be able to reach it's target altitude.

China lake reported 112km, they did good............(I heard Edwards said
110)

The official tally is 100.124 km. Not so good.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 22nd 04, 07:47 AM
Alan Erskine

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

The official tally is 100.124 km. Not so good.

Still over a hundred; that's all that matters.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:32 AM
Jan Vorbrüggen

The official tally is 100.124 km. Not so good.
Still over a hundred; that's all that matters.

Yeah, but is such measurement really good to one part in a thousand? Most
people don't even know the feet-km conversion factor to that accuracy,
and the original report was in feet...all you need to do is get the look
angle to the target even slightly wrong (by 10-3 radian, or about 4 arc-
minutes, if I did the calculation correctly), and you're off by those 100 m.

Jan
Old June 22nd 04, 08:42 AM
Alan Erskine

"Jan Vorbrüggen" wrote in message
The official tally is 100.124 km. Not so good.

Still over a hundred; that's all that matters.

Yeah, but is such measurement really good to one part in a thousand? Most
people don't even know the feet-km conversion factor to that accuracy,
and the original report was in feet...all you need to do is get the look
angle to the target even slightly wrong (by 10-3 radian, or about 4 arc-
minutes, if I did the calculation correctly), and you're off by those 100

m.

Jan

According to spaceflight now, the figure was 328,491 feet - at 3.280839895
feet per metre (25.4mm per inch, 12 inches per foot), that works out to be
100124.05680040049622720160198491 feet according to Windows calculator which
is more than sufficiently accurate. However, I'm sure that Guiness Book
will be more than acceptable.