Shuttle Drag Chute

Old August 22nd 07, 04:11 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
James R. Jones

Default Shuttle Drag Chute

Just curious if it was just me or did it seem the drag chute deployment
was late today. I thought I had read somewhere that the drag chute was
not only to help slow the shuttle, but it was also to help hold the nose
high for longer so it could be eased down with without it hitting the
pavement so hard. The drag chute didn't deploy today until the nose gear
was all the way down on the pavement.

--
Our website is http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7
Old August 22nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

On Aug 21, 9:11 pm, "James R. Jones" wrote:
Just curious if it was just me or did it seem the drag chute deployment
was late today. I thought I had read somewhere that the drag chute was
not only to help slow the shuttle, but it was also to help hold the nose
high for longer so it could be eased down with without it hitting the
pavement so hard. The drag chute didn't deploy today until the nose gear
was all the way down on the pavement.

--
Our website ishttp://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7

James,

Part of the reason may have been the crosswind. I heard a call for a
late drag chute because of a crosswind procedure (never caught its
precise name). The idea is probably to get the nose gear down without
too much delay and increase steering authority for the remaining roll-
out.

Take care . . .

John

Old August 22nd 07, 04:52 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
James R. Jones

John wrote:
[...]

Sounds good to me. Missed that on the replays, thanks for the answer! I
am just very glad everyone is back in one piece.

Jim

--
Our website is http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7
Old August 22nd 07, 05:45 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
ReedS

"James R. Jones" wrote in news:13cnaau675ilf21
@corp.supernews.com:

Just curious if it was just me or did it seem the drag chute deployment
was late today. I thought I had read somewhere that the drag chute was
not only to help slow the shuttle, but it was also to help hold the nose
high for longer so it could be eased down with without it hitting the
pavement so hard. The drag chute didn't deploy today until the nose gear
was all the way down on the pavement.

They called up a Development Test Objective for crosswinds that called for
a late chute deploy.

--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | rsnellenberger
Old August 22nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John[_3_]

On Aug 22, 12:07 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Did you not listen to the audio? They were specifically given permission for
late chute long before they touched down.Why? My guess is cross winds.

Brian - Consider he may have been watching on some network with a
commentator and "expert" who cannot help flapping their mouths during
comms. That's why I put up with NASA TV on the web. . . with all of
its issues . . . unless CSPAN is covering. Where i live now there is
no NASA channel on the cable line up.

take care . . .

John

Old August 23rd 07, 03:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Well, I get annoyed at the nasa chatterboxes too, some are fine, but others
will just cut in and tell you stuff at the more stupid times.

There is one guy who sounds like he is constantly in a drugged state.

I listen on the web, to the sound of the tv in Win media, as its the best
sounding feed, The real feed is usually screwed up, overloaded and on one
channel only for hours before someone notices and puts it right. This is
odd, as the media channel real feed is pretty stable, but the media channel
win is low rate so who knows what is going on.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
ups.com...

Old August 23rd 07, 03:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Kurt Kemp

yes it was crosswinds I heard a call for late chute deploy as well as others
who heard that who have posted that here. And yes real audio stream
sucks...sometimes I have trouble with the winmedia player from the site as
well as loading any nasa.gov website lately for some reason. Anyone got a
clue as to why that might be. it really bothers me because my other browsers
work fine but IE usually wont let me go to any nasa.gov site or if it does i
have trouble playing the streaming media especially the live stuff.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well, I get annoyed at the nasa chatterboxes too, some are fine, but
others will just cut in and tell you stuff at the more stupid times.

There is one guy who sounds like he is constantly in a drugged state.

I listen on the web, to the sound of the tv in Win media, as its the best
sounding feed, The real feed is usually screwed up, overloaded and on one
channel only for hours before someone notices and puts it right. This is
odd, as the media channel real feed is pretty stable, but the media
channel win is low rate so who knows what is going on.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
ups.com...

Old August 24th 07, 02:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
James R. Jones

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well, I get annoyed at the nasa chatterboxes too, some are fine, but
others will just cut in and tell you stuff at the more stupid times.

There is one guy who sounds like he is constantly in a drugged state.

I listen on the web, to the sound of the tv in Win media, as its the
best sounding feed, The real feed is usually screwed up, overloaded
and on one channel only for hours before someone notices and puts it
right. This is odd, as the media channel real feed is pretty stable,
but the media channel win is low rate so who knows what is going on.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 22, 12:07 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Did you not listen to the audio? They were specifically given
permission for
late chute long before they touched down.Why? My guess is cross winds.

Brian - Consider he may have been watching on some network with a
commentator and "expert" who cannot help flapping their mouths during
comms. That's why I put up with NASA TV on the web. . . with all of
its issues . . . unless CSPAN is covering. Where i live now there is
no NASA channel on the cable line up.

take care . . .

John

Well I finally got to watch the landing with the Nasa announcer, and yes
indeed I did hear the ok for late chute deploy ddue to the crosswinds. I
think the original clip I watched was silent thus I missed that call.
Thanks for the answers everyone, it was much appreciated.

Jim

Old August 26th 07, 06:28 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

FRom The Ascent, Entry, Landing Flight Procedure Manual:

Drag Chute Deploy
Nominal chute deploy by definition (assuming WOW) is 195 KEAS. Early
chute deploy is after main gear
touchdown and before nominal chute deploy. Late chute deploy is after
weight on nose gear. Emergency chute
deploy indicates the chute should not be deployed unless the Commander
determines it is required.
If the drag chute aggravates lateral directional controllability on
the runway, it should be jettisoned immediately.
Nominal drag chute jettison is done at 60 KGS.

About the chute Vandar Space Shuttle 9 December 28th 06 05:55 PM
Space Shuttle Drag Coefficient alliek Space Shuttle 11 June 8th 06 07:19 PM
Shuttle Lift to Drag Ratio Michael J. Strickland Space Shuttle 0 July 29th 05 08:09 PM
MER Opportunity backshell & 'chute: engineering observation? Mike Flugennock History 12 March 16th 04 06:50 PM
Shuttle delta-V without drag. Ian Stirling Space Shuttle 7 January 26th 04 02:16 PM