Nick Names

Old October 27th 07, 07:03 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Nick Names

Pambo? What is that all about then?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old October 27th 07, 07:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

Brian Gaff wrote:
Pambo? What is that all about then?

Nickname given to Pam Melroy by Brian Duffy (her CDR on STS-92). Play on
words with "Rambo" (there is a Rambo poster in the 120 crew's office
with Pam's face superimposed over Stallone's).

George Zamka already had the callsign "Zambo", so when he and Pam were
assigned to 120, they gave the rest of the crew "-bo" nicknames as well:

Scott Parazynski - Longbow (height)
Doug Wheelock - Flambo (can start a fire just about anywhere, with any
materials)
Stephanie Wilson - Robeau (lead robotic arm operator)
Dan Tani - Ichibo (Tani is Japanese-American; Ichi is Japanese for "one"
and means "first" or "best" when used as a prefix)
Paolo Nespoli - Rocky (couldn't think of a -bo nickname that fit, but he
does faintly resemble Stallone's other character)
Old October 28th 07, 07:43 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Hmm, far too complicated, but then, these sort of things often are.

I wondered if it might have been due to the stiff circuit breaker incident
earlier in the mission where the only person who seemed to be able to
operate them was Pam.

Brian

Email:

Old October 30th 07, 05:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

From Jorge:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Pambo? What is that all about then?

Nickname given to Pam Melroy by Brian Duffy (her CDR on STS-92). Play on
words with "Rambo" (there is a Rambo poster in the 120 crew's office
with Pam's face superimposed over Stallone's).

George Zamka already had the callsign "Zambo", so when he and Pam were
assigned to 120, they gave the rest of the crew "-bo" nicknames as well:

Scott Parazynski - Longbow (height)
Doug Wheelock - Flambo (can start a fire just about anywhere, with any
materials)
Stephanie Wilson - Robeau (lead robotic arm operator)
Dan Tani - Ichibo (Tani is Japanese-American; Ichi is Japanese for "one"
and means "first" or "best" when used as a prefix)
Paolo Nespoli - Rocky (couldn't think of a -bo nickname that fit, but he
does faintly resemble Stallone's other character)

Here are photos of the nametags:
http://collectspace.com/review/sts120_nametags.jpg
(From http://collectspace.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/000621.html)

Dan Tani's nickname is an obvious play on 'Soichi'.

~ CT

Old October 30th 07, 08:03 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Dan Tani - Ichibo (Tani is Japanese-American; Ichi is Japanese for "one"
and means "first" or "best" when used as a prefix)

Dan Tani's nickname is an obvious play on 'Soichi'.

Both Google and Babelfish translate "ichi" as "ichi", "soichi" as
"soichi", etc.

leo.org doesn't have japanese-german to give me another viewpoint.

/dps

Old October 31st 07, 12:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

snidely wrote:
Dan Tani - Ichibo (Tani is Japanese-American; Ichi is Japanese for "one"
and means "first" or "best" when used as a prefix)

Dan Tani's nickname is an obvious play on 'Soichi'.

Both Google and Babelfish translate "ichi" as "ichi", "soichi" as
"soichi", etc.

leo.org doesn't have japanese-german to give me another viewpoint.

It's no more an obvious play on "Soichi" than it is on "Koichi". "Ichi"
is quite common. If "Ichibo" is a play on anyone's name, it would be
someone like baseball player Ichiro Suzuki - at least it's at the front
end of the name.
Old October 31st 07, 01:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Oct 30, 4:59 pm, "Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
snidely wrote:

hey, just because *I* dropped some attributions to save space, doesn't
mean you can blame *all* the text on me!

/dps

Old October 31st 07, 02:30 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

snidely wrote:

hey, just because *I* dropped some attributions to save space, doesn't
mean you can blame *all* the text on me!

Sorry, didn't realize until after I'd posted that my response wasn't
directed at you.
Old October 31st 07, 08:08 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Oct 30, 6:30 pm, "Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
snidely wrote:
Sorry, didn't realize until after I'd posted that my response wasn't
directed at you.

But maybe I should order some Rosie CDs for Japanese ....

/dps

Old November 1st 07, 03:07 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

From Jorge:

Dan Tani - Ichibo (Tani is Japanese-American; Ichi is Japanese for "one"
and means "first" or "best" when used as a prefix)
Dan Tani's nickname is an obvious play on 'Soichi'.

It's no more an obvious play on "Soichi" than it is on "Koichi". "Ichi"
is quite common. If "Ichibo" is a play on anyone's name, it would be
someone like baseball player Ichiro Suzuki - at least it's at the front
end of the name.

Let's be clear that Tani's nametag is written "BO-ICHI". And if the
similarity to Naguchi's name is not seen as obvious to everyone, then
that's fine with me. I myself happen to be totally open to the
possibility that the crew was having fun with a name that was similar
to *both* Soichi Naguchi *and* Ichiro Suzuki by flip-flopping surname-
first and surname-last East-West conventions. Or some other inside
joke that the crew has yet to advertise.

~ CT