Dragon launch to ISS delayed

Old January 21st 12, 04:47 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default Dragon launch to ISS delayed

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:46:05 +1100, Alan Erskine
wrote:

This is more of a .station news item than a .shuttle, innit?

Why? The Falcon 9/Dragon is a shuttle

Whether Dragon should now be called a "Shuttle" is irrelevant (but
you'll find no reference whatsoever by SpaceX proclaiming
Falcon/Dragon to be a Shuttle.) This group was created way back when
to discuss the U.S. Space Shuttle.

Dragon is little different from Soyuz and Progress. Do you see any
posts about Soyuz and Progress in sci.space.shuttle?

sci.space.station is probably the best place for Dragon discussions,
as Dragon (and ATV, Soyuz, Progress, HTV, and Cygnus) only exists to
serve the Station now.

Brian
Old January 21st 12, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

wrote:

This is more of a .station news item than a .shuttle, innit?

Why? The Falcon 9/Dragon is a shuttle

Whether Dragon should now be called a "Shuttle" is irrelevant (but
you'll find no reference whatsoever by SpaceX proclaiming
Falcon/Dragon to be a Shuttle.) This group was created way back when
to discuss the U.S. Space Shuttle.

Dragon is little different from Soyuz and Progress. Do you see any
posts about Soyuz and Progress in sci.space.shuttle?

sci.space.station is probably the best place for Dragon discussions,
as Dragon (and ATV, Soyuz, Progress, HTV, and Cygnus) only exists to
serve the Station now.

I agree with Brian and Snidely.
Old January 21st 12, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

wrote:

This is more of a .station news item than a .shuttle, innit?

Why? The Falcon 9/Dragon is a shuttle

Whether Dragon should now be called a "Shuttle" is irrelevant (but
you'll find no reference whatsoever by SpaceX proclaiming
Falcon/Dragon to be a Shuttle.) This group was created way back when
to discuss the U.S. Space Shuttle.

Dragon is little different from Soyuz and Progress. Do you see any
posts about Soyuz and Progress in sci.space.shuttle?

sci.space.station is probably the best place for Dragon discussions,
as Dragon (and ATV, Soyuz, Progress, HTV, and Cygnus) only exists to
serve the Station now.

Brian

No. The delay isn't with Dragon anyway; it's with Falcon, so it's LV
related. There's no specific group for that.

Also, Dragon is to be reuseable and so is Falcon; so I think this is the
appropriate forum.
Old January 21st 12, 10:18 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Alan Erskine scribbled something like ...

No. The delay isn't with Dragon anyway; it's with Falcon, so it's LV
related. There's no specific group for that.

SSP works fine for discussing Falcon, just as it does for Soyuz (R-7) and
Arianne V. If it gets to flight rates that justify its own group, we
should do that rather than twisting SSS.

/dps
Old January 22nd 12, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 22/01/2012 1:38 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
Alan Erskine wrote:
http://www.space.com/14251-launch-de...social%2Bmedia

Where is the spacecraft right now ? Is it assembled and ready to be
moved to the pad ? What sort of tests would they be conducting that
would make them find bugs that had not surfaced before ?

Last I heard, it was on the pad; but I think they would have moved it
inside by now, depending on how long the delay will be.
Old January 22nd 12, 04:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:27:16 +1100, Alan Erskine
wrote:

sci.space.station is probably the best place for Dragon discussions,
as Dragon (and ATV, Soyuz, Progress, HTV, and Cygnus) only exists to
serve the Station now.

No. The delay isn't with Dragon anyway; it's with Falcon, so it's LV
related. There's no specific group for that.

Cite?

"The specific reason for the delay has not been revealed, as much as
the slip is is expected to be only a matter of weeks."

- www.NASAspaceflight.com

I'd put enormous sums of my money on this delay being due to Dragon,
which is after all making it first flight in its bonafide
"operational" configuration, and I don't blame SpaceX one bit for
delaying to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

Also, Dragon is to be reuseable and so is Falcon; so I think this is the
appropriate forum.

You are the only one who does. Take the hint.

Brian
Old January 22nd 12, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

On 01/21/2012 10:59 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

You are the only one who does. Take the hint.

This is Usenet. If he insists anyway, we can't stop him.
Old January 22nd 12, 07:37 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

"Jorge R. Frank" scribbled something like ...

On 01/21/2012 10:59 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

You are the only one who does. Take the hint.

This is Usenet. If he insists anyway, we can't stop him.

Can't stop him, but he may not get the response that the merits of the
material might deserve, and people might not remember later to search this
group for relevant articles.

Of course, Pat avoided SSS, so some of us may alreadhy have flexible search
strategies in place.

/dps
Old January 23rd 12, 10:19 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jochem Huhmann

Brian Thorn writes:

I'd put enormous sums of my money on this delay being due to Dragon,
which is after all making it first flight in its bonafide
"operational" configuration, and I don't blame SpaceX one bit for
delaying to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

Surely not, but still SpaceX can be blamed for first talking NASA into
integrating two missions (the first operational Dragon test and the
first ISS cargo mission) into one and then delaying this mission *and*
forcing NASA to reschedule things at ISS because of this. Nothing major
probably, but I bet there will be lots of "told you so!" directed at
SpaceX right now...

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old January 23rd 12, 04:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain

Snidely wrote:
Of course, Pat avoided SSS, so some of us may alreadhy have flexible search
strategies in place.

I noticed a few years back that this group seems to receive more that its fair
share of spam. Can't be quite sure of the cause, whether it be a disgruntled
poster handing this group over to spam bots or just the overall popularity of
the concept of sci.space.shuttle when the space shuttle was 'the' space
exploration story for the US.

But I finally implemented a pretty effective set of spam filters on my news
client and most of it has disappeared from view.

Dave