Space Station Replacement Battery Contract Awarded

Old July 7th 03, 11:05 PM
Ron Baalke

Default Space Station Replacement Battery Contract Awarded

Allard Beutel
Headquarters, Washington July 7, 2003
(Phone: 202/358-4769)

Kylie Moritz
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

RELEASE: C03-v

SPACE STATION REPLACEMENT BATTERY CONTRACT AWARDED

NASA has awarded a contract to The Boeing Company,
Houston, for the procurement of 40 International Space
Station replacement battery units. The contract facilitates
the fabrication, assembly, testing and delivery of these
battery units in advance for the replacement of on-orbit
batteries.

Each of four power element truss structures on the Space
Station, P6, P4, S4, and S6, is designed with 12 batteries
that store power generated by solar arrays. The batteries,
which are one meter wide, 94 centimeters long and 48
centimeters high, are designed to last for about six-and-a-
half years and can be replaced while in orbit. Boeing is
presently under contract to deliver replacement batteries
for the P6 truss. This new contract requires the purchase of
replacement batteries for the P4, S4 and S6 elements, with
an additional four batteries as spares.

The firm-fixed-price contract, valued at $145 million,
covers work from Feb. 20, 2003, through Sept. 30, 2010. A
Boeing subcontractor, Space Systems/Loral, in Palo Alto,
Calif., will perform the fabrication and assembly work.

-end-

Old July 8th 03, 01:48 AM
Lynndel Humphreys

an additional four batteries as spares.

The firm-fixed-price contract, valued at $145 million,

Let me absorb this concept as it relates to video games, digital cameras,
and calculators. In industry, where might we find a $145 million battery
pack?

Old July 8th 03, 02:08 AM
Dale

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:48:02 -0400, "Lynndel Humphreys" wrote:

an additional four batteries as spares.

The firm-fixed-price contract, valued at $145 million,

Let me absorb this concept as it relates to video games, digital cameras,
and calculators. In industry, where might we find a $145 million battery
pack?

Perhaps in a very high-end vibrator.

Dale