ASTRO: Arp 31

Old April 1st 09, 10:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 31

Arp 31, IC 167, is another integral sign galaxy, at least according to
Arp. It is classed as SABc meaning it has both characteristics of a
normal and a barred spiral with very wide open arms. The bar is yellow
and very very short and narrow. The arms, rather than coming off the
end of the bar seem to come off the core like a regular spiral. They
are far larger than the bar. It's as if the two are unrelated. The
galaxy is 122 million light years distant and seen in the constellation
of Aries. Down near the bottom is much larger NGC 691 which at 110
million light years as measured by red shift is likely part of the same
group as Arp 31. It is a more classic spiral but rather lacking in
dust, gas and thus new stars.

Above Arp 31 is the tiny starburst galaxy NGC 694. It is classed as S0
Pec but some are now considering it an anomalous starburst galaxy. My
picture seems to support this. On the far right near the top is IC
1730. Both of these are at 123 million light years per their red shift
and thus also very likely related to Arp 31. In fact it may be (though
no paper I found suggested this) that NGC 694 is the cause of the
strange arms of Arp 31 and the encounter is what triggered the starburst
activity. This is just a guess on my part. I saw nothing in the
literature on this.

Arp's 200" Palomar photo of this galaxy is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp31.jpeg

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP31L10X10RGB2X10R1.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	2373
Old April 4th 09, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very good detail in these smallish galaxies. I only found an old image from
2001 on my harddisk, actually it is better than most of what I did at that
time ;-)

Stefan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 691IC167-100subgut.JPG (46.6 KB, 77 views)