Earth/Moon Gravity

Old November 22nd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Kevin Stone

Default Earth/Moon Gravity

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Wikipedia...

HTH

--
Kev

Old November 22nd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Alan Morgan

In article . com,
sasha semenov wrote:

A related question:

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Well, the Greeks knew the distance from the Earth to the moon and
thus the size of the moon. If you assume the moon has the same
density as the Earth then you can get the mass as a percentage
of the Earth's mass. Add Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation,
make a hand-waving guess as to the Earth's density, and you can
get the absolute mass of both (or you can go the route of measuring
the gravitational constant directly, but that's too much like real
work).

Alan
--
Defendit numerus
Old November 22nd 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Kevin Stone wrote:
what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Wikipedia...

I'm pretty sure Wikipedia isn't necessary; it's a fairly recent
phenomenon. The ancient greeks were able to discover the radius of
the earth; all that's needed there is geometry and measurements taken
at the right time. They also had the earth-moon ratio, which was done
using eclipses and geometry.

Masses are much harder; I think you need Newton for them, applied to
data obtained by observing the perturbation of the Earth's orbit
caused by the moon.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 22nd 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Kevin Stone

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Wikipedia...

I'm pretty sure Wikipedia isn't necessary; it's a fairly recent
phenomenon. The ancient greeks were able to discover the radius of
the earth; all that's needed there is geometry and measurements taken
at the right time. They also had the earth-moon ratio, which was done
using eclipses and geometry.

I'll race you...

--
Kev

Old November 22nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Mike Terry

"Alan Morgan" wrote in message
In article . com,
sasha semenov wrote:

A related question:

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Well, the Greeks knew the distance from the Earth to the moon and
thus the size of the moon. If you assume the moon has the same
density as the Earth

Quite a big assumption - you're really comparing chalk and cheese here!

Old November 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Alan Morgan

In article ,
Mike Terry wrote:
"Alan Morgan" wrote in message
In article . com,
sasha semenov wrote:

A related question:

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Well, the Greeks knew the distance from the Earth to the moon and
thus the size of the moon. If you assume the moon has the same
density as the Earth

Quite a big assumption - you're really comparing chalk and cheese here!

Oh, come on. I'm only off by 50%. I'm not sure how you could compute the
mass of the moon without making that assumption (still assuming minimal
knowledge and technology here).

Alan
--
Defendit numerus
Old November 22nd 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Richard Heathfield

Alan Morgan said:

In article ,
Mike Terry wrote:
"Alan Morgan" wrote in message
In article . com,
sasha semenov wrote:

A related question:

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Well, the Greeks knew the distance from the Earth to the moon and
thus the size of the moon. If you assume the moon has the same
density as the Earth

Quite a big assumption - you're really comparing chalk and cheese here!

Oh, come on. I'm only off by 50%. I'm not sure how you could compute the
mass of the moon without making that assumption (still assuming minimal
knowledge and technology here).

The mass of the Moon relative to the Earth was certainly known in the late
18th Century and probably long before. In 1798, the (absolute) mass of the
Earth was calculated (Cavendish got to within 1% of the true value - not
bad for 208 years ago), and the Moon's mass was directly calculable as a
consequence.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
Old November 22nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Mike Terry

Mike Terry wrote:
"Alan Morgan" wrote in message
In article . com,
sasha semenov wrote:

A related question:

what minimal set of knowledge and technology is needed to determine
the size and the mass of the moon (either in explicit units (km, kg)
or in earth units (R_e, M_e))?

Well, the Greeks knew the distance from the Earth to the moon and
thus the size of the moon. If you assume the moon has the same
density as the Earth

Quite a big assumption - you're really comparing chalk and cheese here!

Oh, come on. I'm only off by 50%. I'm not sure how you could compute the
mass of the moon without making that assumption (still assuming minimal
knowledge and technology here).

Don't worry Alan - I was just making a little joke! You know it's alleged
by some that the moon is made of cheese? And in English we have the
expression "chalk and cheese" hence the smiley (well, I thought it was
amusing anyway. I didn't spot the sci.astro in the newsgroup list!)

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Old December 5th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.puzzles,sci.astro
Nick Wedd

This is one of my favourite puzzles -

You may assume knowledge of Newtonian physics, and of the general
structure of the solar system, but not of any of its dimensions. Using
only your own body as a measuring instrument, find which is denser, the
sun or the moon.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd