Best novice result yet

Old May 11th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Best novice result yet

Having used a 25mm wide angle lens with a Barlow x2 I had some views of
Jupiter and Saturn that were great for me as a beginner but slightly
disappointing.
last night I tried out a 10mm lens and although I seemed to have a
little eye strain the results were brilliant.
For the first time ever I made out two faint bands of Jupiter (even
though the Moon was full)
and for the first time the rings of Saturn (although it was difficult
to set the focus).
My question is: Are wide angle lenses best suited to multiple objects
ie clusters and 'normal'
lenses for planets?
Always assured an answer - thanks-Dave B