FW: Simple Question

Old July 7th 03, 06:14 PM
Richard S. Sternberg

Default FW: Simple Question

I think there are a significant number of potential answers to Olbers'
Paradox, but Geoff's Simple Question ignores them all in his legitimate
quest for scientific simplicity. For example, if anything would impede our
ability to perceive the infinite nature of the Universe, thereby making it
appear to be finite in spite of its infinite nature, that resolves the
Paradox. I came to that particular solution in exploring whether we might be
living in the interior region of an inverted black hole. Similarly, if the
net infinite light energy streams past us such that there is a finite time
before and after which we see it, there should be no bright sky problem. I
still like my "white hole" hypothesis, because it seems to explain many
other things and results in an easily explained Universe, but Olbers'
Paradox would be solved by any other solution in which the observable
universe is finite in time or space.

But, that said, it would seem to be an unusual "infinite and uniform"
(Condition #1) Universe in which there was a "roughly uniform finite
energy density." If I understand this correctly, you'd posit a location
within infinity in which a finite amount of energy can be located. But, that
would seem to mean that the Universe cannot be uniform.

-- Richard

Ray Tomes wrote:

if an infinite non-expanding universe had a roughly uniform finite
energy density at one point in time, it would be rather surprising if it
came to have an infinite energy density at some future time. Therefore
Olbers Paradox tells us next to nothing about the real universe except
that somewhere in it someone did the sums wrong. :-)