Possible new class of supernovas discovered

Old June 8th 11, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Possible new class of supernovas discovered

Meet the league of extraordinary supernovae - space - 08 June 2011 - New
Scientist
"The creation of the new class was prompted by the discovery of four
unusual supernovae in 2009 and 2010. "We knew they were weird, but I had
the feeling that I had seen this somewhere before," says Quimby. He
looked back at the spectra of two objects that had previously stumped
astronomers: a supernova that smashed brightness records after it was
observed in 2005 and a bizarre object that brightened over a leisurely
three months before fading in 2006. "I was utterly ecstatic when I saw
the match," he says."
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...upernovae.html
Old June 8th 11, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
xxein[_4_]

On Jun 8, 2:37*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Meet the league of extraordinary supernovae - space - 08 June 2011 - New
Scientist
"The creation of the new class was prompted by the discovery of four
unusual supernovae in 2009 and 2010. "We knew they were weird, but I had
the feeling that I had seen this somewhere before," says Quimby. He
looked back at the spectra of two objects that had previously stumped
astronomers: a supernova that smashed brightness records after it was
observed in 2005 and a bizarre object that brightened over a leisurely
three months before fading in 2006. "I was utterly ecstatic when I saw
the match," he says."http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20554-meet-the-league-of-extrao...

xxein: So? Do you still think any "present" state of science knows
everything like most of the idiots here?

We can't reinvent the universe. So, what do we understand? Not too
much. Otherwise, there would be no new discoveries like this. We
would expect them and not be surprised. It would be predictable.

What excuses will we think of to make "our understanding" right?