GREENLAND'S ICE MELTDOWN QUICKENS

Old August 3rd 07, 08:30 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.geo.earthquakes,sci.archaeology,sci.astro,aus.science
Day Brown[_2_]

Default GREENLAND'S ICE MELTDOWN QUICKENS

The best bet really, is that whatever the weather patterns are, they
will be different.
Another bet is that the forecasters will be wrong, and when alarmists
are right,
its usually for the wrong reasons. It looks like the Ogalalla problem
has passed.

Everyone is aware of the increased number of hurricanes, and can see
that this
is because the water is warmer. what they dont see, is what I've seen
this summer,
with the Gulf monsoonal rains coming inland all the up to my upland
Ozark woods.

This is the wettest, coolest summer I've ever seen since I first came
here in 1975.
TX & OK are swamps.

There's a new agribusiness technology too that'll prevent dustbowls.
They dont
plow the land any more. the machinery just makes small furrows,
running along
at 7-9 mph pulling equipment that does 2-3 dozen rows at a crack,
leaing all the
duff from the previous year's crop covering the dirt between the
seeded rows.

They do 50 acres an hour, dumping 32% Nitrogen & seed in the soil in a
single
pass. the mind boggles. at 150bu corn/acre, they plant about 20,000$
worth of
corn per hour, And when the ground is right, do it 24/7, or $3.3
million/week.

But its all done with petrochemicals, fertilizer from oil, and of
course diesel. If
terrorism interferes with the production of oil, all that machinery is
nothing but
expensive yard art.

Old August 4th 07, 02:31 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.geo.earthquakes,sci.archaeology,sci.astro,aus.science
veritas

On Aug 3, 2:30 am, Day Brown wrote:
[...]

You are right about Texas and Oklahoma being swamps this summer.
Maybe the weather really is changing. But it will take a many years
to even begin to refill what they have pumped out. As you probably
know, western Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and Northern New Mexico
is underpopulated now. As I drive through those areas it is really
sad to see just the very hardy families live out there now. Ken

Old August 4th 07, 07:40 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.geo.earthquakes,sci.archaeology,sci.astro,aus.science
Day Brown[_2_]

On Aug 3, 9:31 pm, veritas wrote:
You are right about Texas and Oklahoma being swamps this summer.
Maybe the weather really is changing. But it will take a many years
to even begin to refill what they have pumped out. As you probably
know, western Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and Northern New Mexico
is underpopulated now. As I drive through those areas it is really
sad to see just the very hardy families live out there now. Ken

Predicting the weather may require necromancy. But for sure it has
changed.
I see armadillo, road runner, yucca, & prickly pear in the Ozarks.
There's a
dude down on the Arkansas river, where he mulches them every year, but
his *bananas* come up every year. I have some property even further
back
and higher up, and the pecan & magnolia trees there are doing fine.

i was born on a MN farm in 1939, which at the time was about as far
north
as you could grow corn. the corn belt has moved at least 100 miles
further
north since, and I'd not be surprised to hear they grow in in Ontario,
Saskatchewan
and Alberta.

I've read of TX & OK farmers loading their euquipment on trucks and
hauling it
up to the Yukon. Last year they grew rye, oats, and potatoes up there.

The hardy families are the smart ones. If I were a young man, I'd
consider that
area, altho the Southern Ozarks are, so far as I know at this point,
about as
good as it gets in terms of a comfortable lifestyle if climate change
causes
economic disaster.

The dendochronology shows how climate change collapsed cultures. I
worry that
its not done doing that. And if it does, YMMV. Nobody predicted
economic crisis
in the USSR; some regions had famine, war, & genocide. But I dont
think the
lites in Riga and Tallin even blinked when the USSR collapsed.

http://www.dc-pc.org/newomen/newomen.html is a post apocalyptic set
off by
the New Madrid fault knocking down all the bridges (which seems really
easy
all of a sudden) and trapping the masses east of the Mississippi. With
the
bulk of the tale set in OK, but in any case, on the high plains.

But even if agribusiness keeps on going, the Ogallola will recover;
the new no-
till methods leaves field debris between the rows, and wont need near
as much
irrigation if it does dry out.