My 2004 Post on Meteor Coverage Area

Old November 7th 06, 07:42 AM posted to sci.astro
Odysseus

Default My 2004 Post on Meteor Coverage Area

In article et,
"W. Watson" wrote:

In August of 2004, I posted a message to this group about a calculation to
find the ground coverage radius to see a meteor at 60K feet above the
surface of the earth. Someone, from the British Isles I think, responded
with the formulas and maybe a Java script. I'm trying to find those formulas
again. I thought I had bookmarked his site.

Google has your original posting, but shows no replies to it; perhaps
your correspondent used a no-archive header or contacted you by e-mail.

--
Odysseus
Old November 8th 06, 03:32 PM posted to sci.astro
W. Watson

Odysseus wrote:

In article et,
"W. Watson" wrote:

In August of 2004, I posted a message to this group about a calculation to
find the ground coverage radius to see a meteor at 60K feet above the
surface of the earth. Someone, from the British Isles I think, responded
with the formulas and maybe a Java script. I'm trying to find those formulas
again. I thought I had bookmarked his site.

Google has your original posting, but shows no replies to it; perhaps
your correspondent used a no-archive header or contacted you by e-mail.

Yes, thanks. I think that's what happened. He contacted me directly. I had
done a scan of all my Sent folders, but somehow missed it. The fellow was a
Phd in the British Isles, and had a web site. I'll look at my folders again.
Possibly Java was the language.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed"
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Old November 8th 06, 10:58 PM posted to sci.astro
Jeff Root

Wayne,

If you turn up good info or links, please post them here.
I asked a similar question recently, and got at least a
partial answer from Chris L. Peterson at:
http://www.cloudbait.com/

I'm working on a web page which is an essay about
meteoroids and asteroids, and wanted to say something
about the typical visibility and number of meteors in
Earth's sky. The numbers I'm going with are only rough
guesstimates, so it would be nice to have better data.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Old November 11th 06, 07:41 PM posted to sci.astro
W. Watson

Jeff Root wrote:

Wayne,

If you turn up good info or links, please post them here.
I asked a similar question recently, and got at least a
partial answer from Chris L. Peterson at:
http://www.cloudbait.com/

I'm working on a web page which is an essay about
meteoroids and asteroids, and wanted to say something
about the typical visibility and number of meteors in
Earth's sky. The numbers I'm going with are only rough
guesstimates, so it would be nice to have better data.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I find it a bit odd that I can't find this, since I'm sure it's lurking
among my bookmarks. However, I have well over 4K bookmarks, and their
organization is not real solid thanks to Mozilla's poor implementation of
their bookmark mgr. I have taken some time in recent days to improve the
organization, so there's some hope.

For some reason, the fellow who provided the equations (Java, I think, for
determining the ground radius around an observer's location to see a meteor
above, say, 20 [or whatever] degrees in elevation at a height of 60K feet
[or whatever]) probably contacted me directly, and we never posted anything
regarding his web site. I may have eventually turned to sci.astro.amateur
for a response. I believe I checked there via Google for "Coverage" or my
name. Didn't find anything, as I recall. I may have implemented in MatLab. I
sure did a good job of burying it.

Concerning your essay interest, I'd go to the meteorobs group (Yahoo? and
listserver?) and ask about it there.

Maybe I'll give Google a shot with "meteor equations calculations altitutde
java" or some such set of keys.

Old December 7th 06, 01:21 PM posted to sci.astro
W. Watson

Default My 2004 Post on Meteor Coverage Area--Found!

Well, I finally stumbled across the link I was looking for among my
bookmarks. http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/#Mai. He has quite a few Java
scripts there that have various calculations.
W. Watson wrote:

Jeff Root wrote:

[...]

"I have made this letter [e-mail] a rather long one, only
because I didn't have the lesiure to make it shorter."
-- Blaise Pascal
Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews