Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old October 11th 16, 09:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Nice sunny day here in Gresham, except the East Wind is back. Gusts up to 12 mph. Currently 63F as of 1:15 PM PDT. Could get up to 64F. After tomorrow, rain will return for another week.

Looked at voter's guide for the upcoming election. Best to vote no on all tax issues. Also vote no on any changes, unless it is a damn good idea. Generally vote against incumbents. If judges don't even bother to put information in the voter's pamphlet, they don't get my vote! Can't believe the county commissioners want to extent the number of terms they can serve! Those damned career politicians will never learn!

Double-A

Old October 13th 16, 08:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently raining here in Gresham. Temp only 53F as of 12:45 PM.

Big storm coming in tonight! Hurricane force winds of 85 mph are expected to hit the Oregon coast this evening! A second Columbus Day Storm?

Had a nice lunch with Kim yesterday.

I was wondering how the Martinez Family Farm always has such nice oversized vegetables to sell at the Farmer' Market, and often out of season. I found out, as I suspected, they grow their vegetables hydronically in hothouses!

Double-A

Old October 14th 16, 10:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently partly sunny with heavy clouds and 65 here in Gresham. The strong winds completely missing Gresham yesterday, but today it is blowing out of the southwest at 22 mph. On the Oregon coast this morning a tornado hit the Oregon coastal town of Manzanita! A lot of damage was done. Last night a gust of wind on the coast hit 103 mph! There was record rainfall here yesterday!

Kim was somewhere out on the MAX train line when it was shut down do to a power outage! She had to take a shuttle bus!

Tomorrow we expect Typhoon Songda to hit in the afternoon! Winds of at least 60 mph are expected in downtown Portland! Comparisons to the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 are abounding! Emergency provisions are flying off shelves as electrical power outages are expected!

I will probably not be heard from tomorrow as I will be hunkering down, all the hatches battened down, and staying in the safest place. If I survive this storm, I will report back on it on Sunday!

Double-A

Old October 16th 16, 09:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently 56F here in Gresham as 0f 1:30 PM PDT, and expected to get no higher. Raining lightly.

Yesterday I ventured out to the Farmers' Market despite dire storm warnings about Typhoon Songda coming. Only one vendor had his tent up there selling food, and the scissor sharpening guy was there with a van. Officially the market had been cancelled due to weather. But I was happy to buy some very tasty home grown tomatoes and winter squash from this one brave vendor.

I didn't bother with the library, hurrying home before the storm hit. The wind came up in the afternoon, but not too bad here in Gresham. No damage around my apartment complex. Listened to the Beavers game in Corvallis. At Mary's peak near that field they measured a 102 mph gust of wind! The wind factor made the game more interesting!

131,000 customers in this area lost their electrical power yesterday, but I was lucky. Some trees blown down on the tracks disrupted the MAX train service. When I went out in the morning, there were very few other people out. Raw sewage is flowing out of Portland into the Willamette River due to the excessive rain. That is a problem they seem to have been working on fixing for my entire life, yet it never seems to bet done!

The lot next to my apartment where they are building the Dutch Brother's coffee shop is mostly flooded now. They stopped trying to pour cement last Thursday when it was raining so hard. At least this ought to clue them in that that lot needs a lot more drainage! Our manager has put the sump pump unit in our backyard where it stands at the ready.

Today everything seems to be back to normal around here.

Double-A

Old October 17th 16, 12:27 AM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 1:55:26 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

What kind of name is "Songda" I read it killed 42WOW 72 and two drops of rain at 5am. Next 5 days will be warmer in the 85f .Days are short and I'm in bed by 9. Going into blitz by staying at the colleges.They vote and can relate me with their grandfather. Young and old vote,and they are my big hope.Still I'm only going to spend $1500 wisely. Some spend more than that on one page.Who knows TreBert
Old October 17th 16, 09:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 4:27:40 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

What kind of name is "Songda" I read it killed 42WOW 72 and two drops of rain at 5am. Next 5 days will be warmer in the 85f .Days are short and I'm in bed by 9. Going into blitz by staying at the colleges.They vote and can relate me with their grandfather. Young and old vote,and they are my big hope.Still I'm only going to spend $1500 wisely. Some spend more than that on one page.Who knows TreBert

Sounds like a Korean name. Maybe it's because typhoons start way over there.

Thunder and lighting, wind and rain on this gloomy Monday here in Gresham. Now 57F as of 1:45 PM PDT here in Gresham. Might get a brief respite from the rain on Wednesday, otherwise typical Oregon fall weather.

Yes, young people more identify with their grandparents than their parents. I know I did. Maybe your strategy will work.

The workers at the Duthch Brothers site next door to me were removing the wooden forms exposing the new cement foundation that was poured last Thursday. Amazingly the cement set despite being flooded by the heavy rain! Part of the grounds are still a lake! Oregon Junco Sparrows returned to my patio this morning after a long absence. I half expect ducks to be be showing up soon at the lake next door!

Double-A

Old October 17th 16, 10:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 1:54:02 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

Rain a little about 3 to 9 am Not much. Sunny and no clouds about 80 at 2pm.. Kicking back,as I;m not up to par so far.No birds to be found unless its ducks aqt the parks. TreBert
Old October 18th 16, 10:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 2:56:14 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

Rain a little about 3 to 9 am Not much. Sunny and no clouds about 80 at 2pm. Kicking back,as I;m not up to par so far.No birds to be found unless its ducks aqt the parks. TreBert

Wish you could send up here a little of your warm weather this time of year, and I could send down to you a little of our plentiful rain.

Now a chilly 54F as of 2:00 PM PDT here in Gresham. A little nicer day than yesterday. Still cloudy, but not raining and little wind.

Studied my official Voters' Pamphlet this morning which came in the mail last night. Green Party's Jill Stein has a very progressive platform. In fact she promises almost everything the Bolsheviks did in 1917, all except dividing the land amongst the peasants! But maybe that's just because we have no peasants. I think in the end I will still have to vote for Gary Johnson. We've had one Dick in the White House, now it's time for a Johnson.

Double-A

Old October 20th 16, 03:00 AM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

Johnson reminds me of me.Where not spending much $$$$$ I'm working hard and doing it right,but big money can save lots of sweat. Van is free and stands out with 11 VOTE FOR GLAZIER signs Students get a kick out of me,and I like that.Girls tell me Grey Cloud is a good looking Indian,and I paint well.G=EMC^2 ??? TreBert
Old October 20th 16, 09:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 7:00:39 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:
Johnson reminds me of me.Where not spending much $$$$$ I'm working hard and doing it right,but big money can save lots of sweat. Van is free and stands out with 11 VOTE FOR GLAZIER signs Students get a kick out of me,and I like that.Girls tell me Grey Cloud is a good looking Indian,and I paint well.G=EMC^2 ??? TreBert

A wet and wild day here in Gresham. Pouring rain, and an occasional gust of wind. 60F as of 1:15 PM PDT, and it looks like that's as high as it will get.

Saw Kim on the way over. She was sleeping on the bus. We had a good lunch yesterday.

Watched the Donald and Hillary mud slinging contest last night.

I was almost ready to vote against the so called Gross Receipts Tax on the Oregon ballot. Most newspapers are against it. But then I looked at it closer. There is actually already a 1% tax based on gross receipts which is really an alternative minimum tax for corporations that have enough deductions to pay little or no state income tax. (Think Donald Trump.) But once a corporation gets over 100 million sales, the tax is capped, and they pay no additional tax for additional sales! This gives a big advantage to the largest corporation just for being large! This is unconscionable! The new law would impose a 2.5% minimum tax on all receipts above 25 million and remove the cap. That's more like it! Will provide much needed money for schools and senior services.

A big natural gas explosion yesterday in downtown Portland blew out all the windows in the building. Construction work had broken a gas pipe. Firefighters were already trying to evacuate the building when the explosion occurred. Three of them were injured.

Double-A

Punishment for the Ft. Hood Terrorist. G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 1 November 9th 09 06:59 PM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 08 05:09 AM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 6th 08 04:59 AM
east's direction wind peter Misc 2 November 28th 06 02:38 PM
the East's direction wind peter Misc 1 November 23rd 06 02:44 PM