LHC switches from smashing protons, to smashing Lead ions

Old November 10th 10, 10:40 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default LHC switches from smashing protons, to smashing Lead ions

On 11/8/2010 7:09 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:47:40 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote :

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

Understanding the workings of engines is too far up the finished product
scale here. We're looking for engine parts here, not engines.
Comparatively at the finished product scale, engines vs. engine parts
are at the same level here as chemistry is from this subatomic scale.

So yes, we already know how the engines work, we're now just looking for
the parts that make the engines.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 10th 10, 10:57 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:40:43 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in
:

wrote :

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

Understanding the workings of engines is too far up the finished product
scale here. We're looking for engine parts here, not engines.

That is your mistake.

Comparatively at the finished product scale, engines vs. engine parts
are at the same level here as chemistry is from this subatomic scale.

So yes, we already know how the engines work,

So what is gravity?
The MECHANISM please.

we're now just looking for
the parts that make the engines.

Stupid.
There is no end to that, after the atomic scale and smaller.
You need to look for how it works.
The fact that you do not, and just collect fragments and catalog these,
is the reason why particle physics has done nothing for humanity since WW2,
and in WW2 it was done on the desktop with UNDERSTANDING by Curie, Fermi,
and others, leading to the use of fission for power and weapons,
and later fusion as a weapon.
Since then NOTHING has come from the zillions spend on smashing machines,
except air pollution.

So, after they find the screw they will find there are many screws,
then they will wonder why most screws are right handed, and with fitting nuts.
After shooting many many more engines they will find the 'neutral screw', the 'pin',
Hell they may even set the fuel tank on fire, wonder about the piston rings, and imagine
then mathematical matrices that hold all the parts without a clue how they fit together and what the do.
But never ever will they understand the engine, never.

It is an insane trip by blind idiots leading nowhere else than to ever bigger machines
that do ever less.

Nuke CERN.
Old November 12th 10, 05:57 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/11/2010 5:57 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:40:43 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in
:

On 11/8/2010 7:09 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

Understanding the workings of engines is too far up the finished product
scale here. We're looking for engine parts here, not engines.

That is your mistake.

Or you're just stubborn.

Comparatively at the finished product scale, engines vs. engine parts
are at the same level here as chemistry is from this subatomic scale.

So yes, we already know how the engines work,

So what is gravity?
The MECHANISM please.

Using your own analogy, gravity would be a fuel not a mechanism. It
powers the engine, much like gasoline or diesel.

we're now just looking for
the parts that make the engines.

Stupid.
There is no end to that, after the atomic scale and smaller.

Then you shouldn't have come up with stupid analogies. Is there an end
scale to your "engines" analogy? Below engines we have engine parts.
Below that we have raw materials, etc.

You need to look for how it works.
The fact that you do not, and just collect fragments and catalog these,
is the reason why particle physics has done nothing for humanity since WW2,
and in WW2 it was done on the desktop with UNDERSTANDING by Curie, Fermi,
and others, leading to the use of fission for power and weapons,
and later fusion as a weapon.
Since then NOTHING has come from the zillions spend on smashing machines,
except air pollution.

Really, you mean discovering the Standard Model of Quantum Physics was
nothing special? Also how about ever-smaller semiconductors, lasers, and
optical computer networks, etc.? It's not even a complete list, but it
probably doesn't matter as you'll not be convinced.

It is an insane trip by blind idiots leading nowhere else than to ever bigger machines
that do ever less.

I'm not convinced that there is much more left to be discovered with
bigger machines, either.

Nuke CERN.

Whatever.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 12th 10, 11:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:57:30 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in :

[...]

Oh, get over it.
Twenty first century pseudo science states that now we have found many bolts [shooting cars],
and there seem to be left and right handed ones.
we now theorise that bolts were formed at extremely high temperatures,
Temperatures we are now trying to achieve by shooting cars together even faster.
As we observe more right handed bolts than left handed bolts, but we think that at those high temperatures,
which must have happened in a big explosion (as that is the only thing we can imagine explosions and
things smashing together) the origin of everything, there must have been as many left as right handed bolts.
Some mysterious process we do not yet understand caused the right handed bolts to become the majority.
We have also found that for many bolts, if we have enough collisions (say 10^6 or more), we see some anti bolts,
and we now think there must be an anti-bolt (nut) for each type of bolt,
doubling our standard model of cars, public transport, and the universe.

If you replace some words here, the above text could be a CERN statement.
It is crap, was crap, and will be crap.
The possible only use for the tunnels at CERN is as nuclear bomb shelter.
You will need it.

Tom Stafford - switches awry Bill History 1 June 9th 05 03:47 AM
Those Sun Ions???? Twittering One Misc 3 January 24th 05 03:31 PM
Those Sun Ions???? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 0 January 22nd 05 11:47 PM
Command Module Panel Switches? (Warning: Contains Ebay) David Stinson History 2 December 12th 03 03:04 PM