Request for opinions on telescope parts

Old March 13th 05, 09:10 PM

My Newts seem to be long so small secondary are installed. 12.5" f/7 =
1.5, 16" f/7 = 2 and 6" f/4 = 1.5. Yeah, but it works great. My
question is for a telescoper, scopist, why not keep more than one size
around? Anyway, a little smaller secondary will not dim the edge too
much anyway. When I first made the 6" f/4 back in, wow 35 years
ago!!!!, I used a 1.86" and later on tried a 1.5-inch just for kicks.
It worked great! So, I just left it in. I can't see wide field
stuff so good these days so observe at 100x - 200x with it. One
should walk on the edge at times.

Old March 14th 05, 01:04 AM
Jan Owen

PLONK!

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

"DustyMars" wrote in message
.. .
In article . com,
says...
My Newts seem to be long so small secondary are installed. 12.5" f/7 =
1.5, 16" f/7 = 2 and 6" f/4 = 1.5. Yeah, but it works great. My
question is for a telescoper, scopist, why not keep more than one

size
around? Anyway, a little smaller secondary will not dim the edge too
much anyway. When I first made the 6" f/4 back in, wow 35 years
ago!!!!, I used a 1.86" and later on tried a 1.5-inch just for kicks.
It worked great! So, I just left it in. I can't see wide field
stuff so good these days so observe at 100x - 200x with it. One
should walk on the edge at times.

Just think of community relations by keeping a bunch of secondary

mirrors
around. People borrow them and you borrow stuff from them. Why, there
must be mirrors laying around people's closets all over south Florida! I
know of at least three secondaries that friends have. w ho knows what

of
their's I have I designed my 16" to use a 1.83" sec., but have
installed a 1.5" and it worked very well on Mars. Like the 6-inch f/4,
using certain eyepieces, i.e., Clave, Radian, Neglar, 10mm to ~5mm the
field stops are small and the illuminated field more than covers the
eyepiece field lens or stop.

ATM'ers, or even catalog amateurs, should have a few extra parts around
so to experiment and then they would not have to wade through the bull
**** on s.a.a. to get an answer -- they could figure it out fro
themselves. Hell, they could even discuss the issue.

--
RustyMars

"Nothing is rich but the inexhaustible wealth of nature. She shows us
only surfaces, but she is a million fathoms deep."
....Ralph Waldo Emerson