CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

Old November 18th 04, 08:44 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message qk%md.54560$5K2.4126@attbi_s03, w9gb
writes
"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up. Here's the criteria:

"Marooned"
Jim Pruett (Ironman I CDR)
Clayton Stone (Ironman I SCI)
Buzz Lloyd (Ironman I CMP)
Ted Dougherty (Chief Astronaut/XRV Pilot)

Opps ...... you forgot the Russian cosmonaut in the Voskhod (it looked like
a Vostok 3KA in movie)

Cosmonaut-Colonel Andrei Yakovlev. According to Mark Wade, the original
"Marooned" helped scupper the Mercury MA-10 flight.

James Bond "007" series of movies

...Also, the Astros and Cosmos who were intercepted in space by that
SSTO SPECTRE ship.

Thanks ! I remember 2 capsules being captured (US Gemini US capsule with
spacewalker left outside when Spectre ship swallowed it)

Trouble is, none of them have names!

This could become a very long list, but here are some more.

Jeff Hawke http://www.fumetti.org/jordan/en/jhenclub.htm

The crew of the Kilroy Was Here (1975AD)
Lieut. Colonel deFries Sims
Captain Saul S. Abrams
Master Sergeant Malcolm McGregor.

Victor Carroon and Professor Bernard Quatermass.

Major Jennings (no first name given) and Bob Wyart, crew of GT10 in Joe
Poyer's short story "Under the Wide and Starry Sky" (Analog Science
Fiction - Science Fact, May 1966). I wonder if John Young and Michael
Collins knew about that :-)
Old November 18th 04, 08:53 PM
Derek Lyons

Chet Kinsman et al from Ben Bova's 'Kinsman' books.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 18th 04, 09:27 PM
w9gb

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Chet Kinsman et al from Ben Bova's 'Kinsman' books.

D.
----------------

Derek reminded me of 2 more Bova novels
(which I will probably reread this weekend) .. plenty of candidates

Moonrise and Moonwar

gb

Old November 18th 04, 10:42 PM
Henry Spencer

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
The crew of the Kilroy Was Here (1975AD)
Lieut. Colonel deFries Sims
Captain Saul S. Abrams
Master Sergeant Malcolm McGregor.

I think it's preferable to insist that they have to have speaking parts,
not just have their names appear in a historical exhibit.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old November 18th 04, 11:28 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:21:06 +0100, Harald Kucharek
wrote:

The atsronauts from "Max Q"? [ducks and runs]

In the same vein "The Mercury Project"

Old November 19th 04, 12:02 AM
w9gb

wrote in message ...
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up.

I will have to run through the original Rod Serling Twilight Zone episodes
(unless that is truly an alternative reality - as Rod liked to
characterize it). This and the Outer Limits series did have a number of
episodes with astronauts.

Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (1950 book) - forget the 1980 TV
disaster
The 3 expedition crews

First Expedition (crew of 2)
Nathaniel York - Captain of the first expedition (appeared in Ylla's dream)

Second Expedition (crew of 4?)
Captain Williams - leader of second expedition to Mars

Third Expedition (crew of 16?)
Captain John Black - leader of third expedition
Samuel Hinkston - archaeologist for the third expedition

Fourth Expedition
Captain Wilder - captain of the fourth expedition
Hathaway - physician and geologist for the fourth expedition
Biggs - member of the fourth expedition
Jeff Spender - archaeologist for the fourth expedition
Cheroke - member of the fourth expedition of Cherokee descent
Sam Parkhill - member of the fourth expedition

gb

Old November 19th 04, 12:22 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Darren J
Longhorn writes
wrote:

The atsronauts from "Max Q"? [ducks and runs]

In the same vein "The Mercury Project"

Is that the one IMDB lists as "Rocket's Red Glare"?

OT comment - there are also films called "Twilight's Last Gleaming",
"Dawn's Early Light", "Home of the Brave", "Land of the Free", and of
course "The Star Spangled Banner".

Yet another set of names surfacing from memory

James Richards (Canadian)
Lewis Taine
Pierre Leduc
Crew of the Prometheus. First Moon Landing - 1978.
Old November 19th 04, 12:47 AM
Darren J Longhorn

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:22:48 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

Is that the one IMDB lists as "Rocket's Red Glare"?

Yeah.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219279/
I'm sure it was shown as "The Mercury Project" on $ky.

Old November 19th 04, 02:57 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...

Do Frank Poole and David Bowman qualify?

...I've really been handwringing about this one, and right now I have
to say no. Simply because I'm trying to keep this in "reality"
perspective. "2001" was far beyond what really happened, and in
retrospect far above what we really could have achieved had we gone
that route, at least within that time frame.

But a guy who finds a Genie is ok? :-)

Old November 19th 04, 04:49 AM
jdstone

How about the unnamed astronaut whose death is predicted by Regan
("Your gonna die up there.") in the Exorcist?

Later,
James

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Lunar 100 - April S&T phil Amateur Astronomy 39 March 19th 04 01:51 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 07:48 PM