Air resistance

Old May 11th 08, 11:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Air resistance

I've been writing a computer simulation for a small satellite
launcher, and have discovered a mistake in my code!

The mistake isn't quite relevant to the question I want to ask, but
related.

I've been modelling aerodynamic drag in the lower part of the
atmosphere as constant * airdensity * velocity * velocity.

I realise that the constant will vary according to the design (area,
shape), but I was wondering whether anyone could point me to, or give
me some idea of, the size of the drag forces on something like Scout
or Titan II.

Many thanks,

Nicholas Hill
Old May 11th 08, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
I've been writing a computer simulation for a small satellite
launcher, and have discovered a mistake in my code!

Well, clearly, you don't work for Microsoft. If you worked for Microsoft,
you wouldn't have discovered the glitch. ;-)

Old May 11th 08, 04:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On May 11, 4:26*pm, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
wrote in message

I've been writing a computer simulation for a small satellite
launcher, and have discovered a mistake in my code!

Well, clearly, you don't work for Microsoft. *If you worked for Microsoft,
you wouldn't have discovered the glitch. ;-)

Better still, I don't work at all.
Old May 11th 08, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On May 11, 11:49 am, wrote:

Well, clearly, you don't work for Microsoft. If you worked for Microsoft,
you wouldn't have discovered the glitch. ;-)

Better still, I don't work at all.

What, exactly, are you thinking about doing with the simulator?

I wrote a simulator for submarine design while I'm unemployed, and
it's not paid off for me!

Mike
Old May 11th 08, 06:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

True enough - but do you know of any formulae that give values for
drag co-efficient?

Drag coefficient is a function of Mach number and angle-of-attack, so
you would have to have that information in order to obtain anywhere
meaningful results.

Use one of the standard atmosphere models to get the density and
temperature profiles, since speed of sound is a function of temperature.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

Old May 11th 08, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On May 11, 10:41 am, wrote:
True enough - but do you know of any formulae that give values for
drag co-efficient?

Drag coefficient is a function of Mach number and angle-of-attack, so
you would have to have that information in order to obtain anywhere
meaningful results.

Use one of the standard atmosphere models to get the density and
temperature profiles, since speed of sound is a function of temperature.

--
Remove _'s from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

You'd be better off at getting that classified information from North
Korea, or perhaps China.

You could use our Saturn 5 formula as a how not to fly-by-rocket, that
is unless using them NASA/Apollo (aka DARPA) conditional laws of
physics.
.. - Brad Guth