Nasa Animations: Who's the animator?

Old May 11th 08, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Nasa Animations: Who's the animator?

I've been watching 'Failure Is Not An Option', about Mission
Control, on the History International channel. Among the stock footage
used, particularly for Mercury and Gemini coverage, were various bits
of NASA animation, showing approximations to what things like the
Gemini 7/6 rendezvous should look like.

Do we know who produced these animations? Was it a contract out
to the side of Disney that did all those educational films, was it to
some smaller company, was it in-house? Who was the director? Who was
doing the detailed work?

--
Joseph Nebus
Old May 11th 08, 08:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On 10 May 2008 23:35:59 -0400, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

Do we know who produced these animations? Was it a contract out
to the side of Disney that did all those educational films, was it to
some smaller company, was it in-house? Who was the director? Who was
doing the detailed work?

....Joe, you ask questions that I've posed to the PAO in the past, and
never did get any real answers - probably because the PAO and yours
truly don't care that much for one another. What info I did get was
that some of the early missile and satellite films and animations were
done by the Air Farce, along with some of the Mercury-related films.
Some animations were farmed out to a couple of educational film
companies, and at least one was supposedly supplied by See-BS' news
animation department. There were also some government agencies that
produced propaganda and information films that were independent of the
educational film groups, and IIRC one of those was responsible for the
official A11 film they used to run at the old JSC Visitors Center
until all the sprocket holes melted.

....Personally, what I want copies of are the opens, interstitials
("Bumps") and closings for each of the See-BS and NBC coverage
specials. See-BS had some of the more spectacular ones - the A11 one
was so spooky it gave me nightmares, while A15s open was a great
overview of the entire mission from launch to landing, with a great
soundtrack - and NBC had a couple that were interesting. ABC's were
usually just keyed text over the anchors, with a voice warning you
that you were going to be bored by Jules Bergman, hinting that it's
not too late to turn to See-BS.

OM
--
] OMBlog -
Old May 11th 08, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Just like in them good old NASA/Apollo days, it's strictly need-to-
know and otherwise highly nondisclosure rated. You don't need to
know, and if you ever found out they've have to kill you (perhaps via
sudden brain tumor).
.. - Brad Guth