40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

Old May 6th 08, 06:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Default 40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

Dave Michelson wrote:

Rand Simberg wrote:

Hey, Dave, we should start a business selling tee-shirts saying "Derek
Lyons called me a jackass." It would be a badge of honor.

Indeed! It's likely that demand would outstrip supply, though.

(I'm sure Derek is a great guy, but his posts would be much easier to
take if he wasn't so down on *everything*. Even movie reviewers say
nice things every now and then.)

I'm down on everything? Do you even read what I write, or just
kneejerk insults? The evidence supports the latter. (Considering you
contribute almost nothing to these groups but insults to me.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old May 7th 08, 07:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 2 May 2008 23:34:05 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

Remember, Star Trek got a shuttle because AMT foot the bill in exchange for
the model rights.

....And you know the punchline to that joke, right? AMT designed the
shuttlecraft, and the kit is one of the most inaccurate ones they ever
did!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 7th 08, 08:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 2 May 2008 23:34:05 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

And what the frack is up with WB's ****-poor marketing of B-5?

....Warners has always mishandled B5. The reasons have never been
clear, but there's some fairly credible theories floating about that
argue some Warner execs simply don't like JMS or the B5 fans because
they're afraid of having to deal with "just another bunch of no-life,
psychotic Trekkies" trying to influence how they run their end of
Hollywood. If recent history has shown anything, the studio pervs in
Hollyweird hate it when fans wind up making their decisions for them.
They'd prefer it if the fans would simply accept whatever they dish
out, crap or not, so they don't have to work so hard.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old May 9th 08, 11:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

Dave Michelson wrote:

I'm sure Derek is a great guy, but his posts would be much easier to
take if he wasn't so down on *everything*

Then again, a lot of others' posts would be easier to take if they
didn't mistake the newsgroup for sci.space.cheerleading.

In fact, maybe we'd be farther along in space if cheerleading hadn't
taken the place of critical thought for so much of the last 50 years.
Old May 9th 08, 12:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Monte Davis wrote:

I'm sure Derek is a great guy, but his posts would be much easier to
take if he wasn't so down on *everything*

Then again, a lot of others' posts would be easier to take if they
didn't mistake the newsgroup for sci.space.cheerleading.

In fact, maybe we'd be farther along in space if cheerleading hadn't
taken the place of critical thought for so much of the last 50 years.

We've accomplished spectacular things in relation to space exploitation
since Apollo, and done it on a budget to boot.
We've got two rovers crawling around on the surface of Mars....that's
missions would have been considered fully successful if they survived 90
days... that now are into their fifth year of rolling around on Mars.
Sure, manned exploration could do better than they could...but could it
do it at such a knock-down cost over that long of a period of time?
You might get a thousand times as much data back; but is it worth a
thousand times the cost?
Mars is fairly easy to get to via time and expense, versus the other
major planets and moons in our solar system..
But it's also pretty boring.*
Whatever else it has, it doesn't have flora or fauna that shows up on
the pictures of the MERs on its surface, and that would show up
elephants - much less calots - given the resolution of the imagery taken
from orbit.
If Europa where orbiting where Mars is...then it might be worth throwing
time, effort, and treasure at to do a manned expedition to.

* I'm really keen to see the surface results from the Phoenix lander:
"What the _****_ do you mean: 'It's all dry ice'?" :-D

Old May 9th 08, 03:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Monte Davis" wrote in message
Dave Michelson wrote:

I'm sure Derek is a great guy, but his posts would be much easier to
take if he wasn't so down on *everything*

Then again, a lot of others' posts would be easier to take if they
didn't mistake the newsgroup for sci.space.cheerleading.

In fact, maybe we'd be farther along in space if cheerleading hadn't
taken the place of critical thought for so much of the last 50 years.

I agree with this.

I also think that the whole Ares I/Orion program is a disaster in the
making. They're overweight and trying to deal with the SRB vibration
problem at the same time. I think there is precious little chance that Ares
I will be able to launch a lunar capable Orion. Hopefully the politicians
will wise up and abort this Ares I/Orion fiasco well before it flies. Space
station got redesigned several times to schedule and cost overruns, so I
think history backs up this possible scenario.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old May 9th 08, 09:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 09 May 2008 06:27:19 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

If Europa where orbiting where Mars is...then it might be worth throwing
time, effort, and treasure at to do a manned expedition to.

....Then again, were Europa where Mars is now, it would probably be far
more liquid than ice, and we'd have skipped the Moon landings
altogether for a fishing expedition. Jacques Cousteau as CDR, anyone?

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old May 9th 08, 09:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 09 May 2008 10:02:28 GMT, Monte Davis
wrote:

Then again, a lot of others' posts would be easier to take if they
didn't mistake the newsgroup for sci.space.cheerleading.

....Excuse me, but which of us are trying to vicariously live out our
lack of life through our kids' posting here? :-P

OM
--