Final Titan 4B: Alas, no magic orbit

Old October 16th 05, 05:07 PM
Allen Thomson

Default Final Titan 4B: Alas, no magic orbit

Well, drat.

The range closure NOTAM for the launch has appeared
and indicates a launch azimuth inconsistent with
the 116.6 degree inclination of a "magic" orbit.
It is consistent with a standard LEO sunsynch
orbit of the sort used by most US electro-optical/
IR spysats over the past 30 years.

See http://satobs.org/seesat/Oct-2005/0151.html

There's enough unusual about this launch, notably
the shroud, that I still don't rule out the possibility
of some substantial surprises. One notion that has come
to mind is that the satellite's propulsion unit may
have been enlarged to allow for more extensive orbital
maneuvers. But right now we can only wait and see
what happens.

Old October 16th 05, 06:11 PM
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:

There's enough unusual about this launch, notably
the shroud, that I still don't rule out the possibility
of some substantial surprises. One notion that has come
to mind is that the satellite's propulsion unit may
have been enlarged to allow for more extensive orbital
maneuvers. But right now we can only wait and see
what happens.

Got a link to a photo of the vehicle and its shroud?

Pat
Old October 17th 05, 02:58 PM
Allen Thomson

Pat Flannery wrote:

Got a link to a photo of the vehicle and its shroud?

No picture, though hopefully we'll get some in the
next couple of days. There are words, however:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/titan/...26preview.html

"Vandenberg hosts the final Titan 4 launch in July when another
hush-hush payload is deployed for the NRO. The satellite will be
shrouded inside a 'modified version of a standard Titan 76-foot payload
fairing,' according to the Air Force. Such a nose cone has never been
used on the previous 11 Titan 4s from the West Coast."

Old October 18th 05, 03:36 AM
Allen Thomson

Well, drat.

Double drat. The NRO was famous for its Christmas parties,
and I never got invited to one. Now this.

Grumble.

++++++++++++++

http://www.lompocrecord.com/articles...ews/news02.txt

Last Titan liftoff gives caterer blast
By Mark Abramson/Staff Writer

The historic last Titan 4 booster launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base
this week will not only put a National Reconnaissance Office payload
into orbit, it will send Bruce Nix's butchering and catering business
soaring as well.

Nix and an army of helpers have been busy the past few weeks preparing
for the last Titan 4 liftoff, scheduled for Wednesday. Bruce's Prime
Cuts is handling the catering duties for the post-blast bash for
Lockheed Martin, rocket manufacturer. He will feed about 4,000
dignitaries and company officials, who will be on hand to watch the
launch.

It's the second biggest job he's ever done.

The gig requires 10,000 bottled waters; 6,000 cans of soda; 1,300
pounds of potato salad; 700 pounds of green salad; 1,200-to-1,300
pounds of tri-tip; and the setting up 106 tables.

"I've done bigger than this, but this is the biggest one I've ever
done with sandwiches," Nix said.

Feeding thousands with tri-tip sandwiches and side dishes means
strategically pre-positioning food-filled refrigerated trucks on base
that are ready to roll at a moment's notice. The launch window for the
rocket is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., so Nix has to be flexible.

"We don't start making sandwiches until the launch is a go," he
said. "If it doesn't go for some reason, we will do it the next day
and leave everything refrigerated.

If the launch is scrapped again Thursday, Nix said he would donate the
food to nonprofits such as the Santa Barbara County Food Bank.

"We will do a run on it to see how long it takes to make the
sandwiches," he said. "I'm thinking we can do five or six
sandwiches a minute."

Manning the steak knifes and handling other prep work will be 60
volunteers from the base's Non Commissioned Officers Association and
the Kiwanis Club. Their hard work is being rewarded with undisclosed
donations from Nix. Those volunteers will have 11/2 hours notice before
they have to go to work.

About 15- to 20-percent of Nix's business around the state comes from
Vandenberg. This weekend he was counting down to the Titan 4 launch
while he served up grub for BMW importers in Oxnard, as well as other
barbecues in the area.

"You have to know the right person and let them know what you can
do," Nix said.