Kingfish and the Blackbird

Old September 24th 09, 06:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Kingfish and the Blackbird

Paul A. Suhler wrote:

Are you referring to the Inflatoplane as the one Goodyear built
for the CIA?

Yeah, it's in the "CIA Special Weapons and Equipment" book under the
title "Rubber Airplane", a few pages before of the dread "Escape And
Evasion Suppository" a horrifying device where your ass doesn't go into
the blades, but the blades go up your ass.
(...along with a pair of wire cutters/screwdriver/pry bar/tool handle, a
drill, a reamer, a flat file, and a ceramic knife.)

Lockheed's design for the Navy plane would have used a
rather large towplane to get the ramjet aircraft up to
altitude. Presumably the pilot would have lit the ramjet
in a dive, because there's no way it could have been towed
to a supersonic speed.

Did it need to get supersonic to ignite the ramjet?
A lot of the early ones could be lit off at around 300-400 mph.

It was indeed manned. The cockpit was in the ramjet centerbody;
the ramjet's diameter was fifteen feet.

This sounds like something René Leduc would come up with:
http://aerostories.free.fr/construct...duc/page8.html

Pat
Old September 24th 09, 07:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Sep 23, 9:54 pm, (Paul A. Suhler) wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 22, 12:14 am, (Paul A. Suhler) wrote:

[...]

The FISH and Kingfish sections include the two major FISH
designs ...

These two?
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=3512

Yep, those are the two designs; the dates are correct. Where did
you find the November 1958 design, the Jay Miller Collection?

Yup.

3-view drawings, hopefully?

Yes, three-views.

Great!

Some are scans of blueprints that were folded
up for decades and have marks on them, but they're legible.

That can be taken care of easily enough. I digitally "restore" such
blueprints all the time.

AIAA is planning on putting my collection of declassified
documents on line, including the index.

Definitely keep us updated on *that.*

It wasn't up today, and AIAA found that their web site has
problems if the 10-digit ISBN has a letter in it, as mine
does. They said it'll be working before the book is released,
which should be the end of the month.

Any indication as to what the web address will be? Will it be linked
from your books site, listed previously?
Old September 25th 09, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dr J R Stockton[_46_]

In sci.space.history message , Wed, 23 Sep
2009 20:54:49, Paul A. Suhler posted:

It wasn't up today, and AIAA found that their web site has
problems if the 10-digit ISBN has a letter in it, as mine
does. They said it'll be working before the book is released,
which should be the end of the month.

Only the final character can be a letter, and it can only be X; and over
9% of them are X, in a manner not obviously distinguishable from random.
Black mark for AIAA, if you are right.
URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-misc1.htm#BN10.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old September 26th 09, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Paul A. Suhler

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
Paul A. Suhler posted:
It wasn't up today, and AIAA found that their web site has
problems if the 10-digit ISBN has a letter in it, as mine
does. They said it'll be working before the book is released,
which should be the end of the month.

Only the final character can be a letter, and it can only be X; and over
9% of them are X, in a manner not obviously distinguishable from random.
Black mark for AIAA, if you are right.

Yep, earlier today I checked out the Wikipedia page on ISBN,
validated the check character, and sent a link to the page
to my editor. He'll inform the web developers.

Sigh.

Paul

Old September 26th 09, 05:37 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Paul A. Suhler wrote:
Only the final character can be a letter, and it can only be X; and over
9% of them are X, in a manner not obviously distinguishable from random.
Black mark for AIAA, if you are right.

Yep, earlier today I checked out the Wikipedia page on ISBN,
validated the check character, and sent a link to the page
to my editor. He'll inform the web developers.

See, that's what you get for writing a book about eXperimental aircraft
designs.

Pat (runs) :-)
Old September 26th 09, 07:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Paul A. Suhler

Pat Flannery wrote:
Paul A. Suhler wrote:
Yep, earlier today I checked out the Wikipedia page on ISBN,
validated the check character, and sent a link to the page
to my editor. He'll inform the web developers.

See, that's what you get for writing a book about eXperimental aircraft
designs.

Pat (runs) :-)

There are some people you can always tell. You just can't
tell them much.

;-)

Whoever chose "X" obviously wasn't a serious computer weenie.
For me the obvious choice would have been "A" -- hexadecimal
for 10.

Paul
Old November 3rd 09, 04:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

I've posted a review of "Rainbow" as well as the beginning of a series
of Archangel layout drawings on my blog he
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4387