Status of STS-117

Old March 9th 07, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

Default Status of STS-117

Anybody have the recent status of STS-117? Can the tank be repaired? Can
NASA still fly in late April? Any damage to the leading edge of the wings?

I just checked www.nasa.gov, but didn't see much information.

Danny Deger

Old March 9th 07, 10:31 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:52:22 -0600, "Danny Deger"
wrote:

Anybody have the recent status of STS-117? Can the tank be repaired? Can
NASA still fly in late April? Any damage to the leading edge of the wings?

I just checked www.nasa.gov, but didn't see much information.

I think they finished putting in the Tank inspection platforms late
this week, so we probably won't get a new launch date until next week
some time. The SRBs' and Atlantis' hail damage is mostly repaired.
NASASpaceflight.com is saying May 11 is the probable launch target.

Brian
Old March 10th 07, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

"Danny Deger" wrote in
:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070310/ap_on_sc/space_shuttle
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old March 10th 07, 08:26 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

I'd have thought it a bit soon for such decisions. seem to recall them
saying that great care was going to be taken to build the platforms so as
not to cause more damage. I'm sure its repairable, I'm just a bit worried
that so many repairs increase the chances of poor adhesion and subsequent
shedding in an area where foam can easily be transported to the underside of
the orbiter.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old March 10th 07, 06:39 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Brian Gaff wrote:
not to cause more damage. I'm sure its repairable, I'm just a bit worried
that so many repairs increase the chances of poor adhesion and subsequent
shedding in an area where foam can easily be transported to the underside of
the orbiter.

If the damage is mostly limited to the very top of the tank, would it be correct
to state that the airflow would not try to hard to rip pieces of foam off ,
compared to the protruding things such as the ramps that are on the side of the
tank ?
Old March 12th 07, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"John Doe" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
not to cause more damage. I'm sure its repairable, I'm just a bit
worried that so many repairs increase the chances of poor adhesion and
subsequent shedding in an area where foam can easily be transported to
the underside of the orbiter.

If the damage is mostly limited to the very top of the tank, would it be
correct to state that the airflow would not try to hard to rip pieces of
foam off , compared to the protruding things such as the ramps that are on
the side of the tank ?

I don't think you can safely say that. Hypersonic airflow can do funny
things.

Certainly not a risk I'd want to take.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting

STS-114 MCC Status Report #11 Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 August 1st 05 04:11 AM
STS-114 MCC Status Report #06 Jacques van Oene News 0 July 29th 05 03:06 PM
CEV Status? [email protected] Policy 1 October 18th 04 09:29 PM
Pad 39-A status? Nicholas Fitzpatrick Space Shuttle 1 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
FGB-2 status? Thomas Former Space Station 7 October 27th 03 10:45 AM