3 Raptor flight get 5+ minute burn and acrobatics

Old December 10th 20, 01:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default 3 Raptor flight get 5+ minute burn and acrobatics

Didn't stick the landing, but Starship SN8 made the first 3-engine
Raptor flight, running a long burn, did the belly-flop into stable
terminal velocity flight, /relit/ the Raptors and flipped back to
vertical. Touchdown was with 1 Raptor, which wasn't as planned.

Elon's tweets are happy, RUD apparently due to insufficient header tank
pressure.

/dps

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in
Old December 10th 20, 09:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On 2020-12-09 19:19, Snidely wrote:
Touchdown was with 1 Raptor, which wasn't as planned.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Elon tweeted that engines performed
fine (in response to a question, so not seen by those who follow him).

So I would assume that some software saw fuel pressure and decided it
coudln't ignite 2 engines? Or ignition failed so there was an "abort"
on the second engine ignition?

As others have posted, there were two engines running approaching the
pad. One apparently flamed out or was shutdown within a couple of
lengths of touchdown, the other was burning green which is likely due
to low oxidizer.

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
Old December 11th 20, 12:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

On 2020-12-09 19:19, Snidely wrote:
Touchdown was with 1 Raptor, which wasn't as planned.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Elon tweeted that engines performed
fine (in response to a question, so not seen by those who follow him).

So I would assume that some software saw fuel pressure and decided it
coudln't ignite 2 engines? Or ignition failed so there was an "abort"
on the second engine ignition?

As others have posted, there were two engines running approaching the pad.
One apparently flamed out or was shutdown within a couple of lengths of
touchdown, the other was burning green which is likely due to low oxidizer.

Actually just the opposite, low fuel, oxidizer rich, or as some joked,
"engine-rich" which it basically was, the oxygen rich flow started to
consume the engine (probably the copper though apparently there's some
speculation it was another metal in the engine which I forget what it might
be.)

/dps

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/