Could a human walk on Titan's surface?

Old January 27th 05, 04:36 PM

starman wrote:
Brian Tung wrote:

For a few seconds, probably. The atmospheric pressure, even down

in
the canyons, is pretty low--on the order of 10 or 20 millibars, as

recall. But even so, it doesn't seem that it could be worse than
exposure to space in LEO. While I wouldn't risk it with any other
alternative, it seems likely that if need be, a human could

withstand
several seconds of exposure to such conditions.

The things I'd be worried about would be lack of atmospheric

pressure
and oxygen, rather than temperature. Obviously, a human being

could
withstand 40 F temperatures for a long time, even clothed

ordinarily.

I got the impression the OP was asking whether it was physically
possible to stand on the surface of Titan. IOW- Would it support a

man's
weight. I heard recently that the surface is thought to be spongy.

It might be a good idea to have Teflon treads on your boots to avoid
getting bogged down in sticky tar. Depending upon how much methane
from the last rain was present in the soil, it should range from
brittle sandy stuff to mushy sticky stuff. Another concern would be
highly flamable leaks from the respirator. One probably couldn't just
vent exhaled breath, the oxygen content would still be high enough to
be dangerous in a methane rich atmosphere. Some kind of re-breather
with good seals around the mask covering the nose and mouth.
Clif

Old January 27th 05, 05:03 PM
Intertracer

Well, looks like we're almost there. Just a few more hundreds of years
and a good reason for having an outpost there, like a petrol station
for those interstellar travellers... :-)

WORST CASE SCENARIO charles vind Misc 22 October 22nd 04 10:19 PM
GLOBAL EMERGENCY ON PLANET EARTH--GLOBAL HOLOCAUST charles vind Misc 8 October 14th 04 11:55 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Breakthrough in Cosmology Kazmer Ujvarosy Space Shuttle 3 May 22nd 04 09:07 AM