How do you pronounce Huygens?

Old January 16th 05, 11:43 PM
Iceman-Jamie Iceman-Jamie is offline
Member

Location: Keflavik, Iceland

Lets send "Dubbya" a letter and have him say it. Just for a giggle.
Old January 16th 05, 11:49 PM
T.T.

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

"OG" wrote in message

"Davoud" wrote in message
Eric:
Thats been bugging me, I've heard it pronounced a bunch of different

ways
but what is correct?

What, indeed. As others have pointed out, the Dutch pronunciation is

at
http://frank.harvard.edu/~paulh/misc/pics/huygens_96.mp3. But you

and
I don't speak Dutch and we are unlikely to guess at the Dutch
pronunciation, because the spelling "Huygens" offers no hint to

English
speakers of the Dutch pronunciation. We're dealing with a language

that
has a name "Jaap" that is pronounced "yop," rhymes with "hope." What
English speaker would guess at that. I had no trouble with the "y,"

but
I had no clue that "aa" might be a long "o."

well, it does not. The dutch name Joop would be pronounced as "yop" rhymes

with "hope".
Jaap is completely different :-) I can't think of an english word that

rhymes with Jaap, sorry.

I had a French friend who insisted that " Dutch iz not a langwidge, it is

a dizeaze of zer sroat."

Old January 17th 05, 12:21 AM
Jmpngtiger

Since we're on the subject, how about "plossl"? They come with every
telescope, there are premium ones, cheap ones, super ones, sirius ones, GTO
ones, etc.,

But how do you say it. No vowel in the second syllable, that always messes me
up.

jt

Old January 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Sam Wormley

Eric wrote:
Thats been bugging me, I've heard it pronounced a bunch of different ways
but what is correct?
BTW: next time we are going to pass a world wide law that the name has to be
something simple like "Dave" or "Hal" :-)
Eric

See (and hear): http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=huygens

Old January 17th 05, 05:52 AM
Hsai Fu

Mary Platinum-Wig on FOX pronounced it, git ready:

hee-geese.

Hee Hee for the Geese! Hilarious! But "Fox knows".
hsi

--
Byte=8 bits, a kilobyte is 1024 bytes
There is no such thing as a kibibit,mebibit etc

Old January 17th 05, 06:39 AM
Stephen Tonkin

#1. The "see" bit is incorrect, in both cases (you'd think that they'd
realise that both can't be correct, wouldn't you?).
#2. As regards "hear", I'm damned if I'm going to pay 20 bucks for
something that, in the light of the above, stands a good chance of
turning out to be wrong.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Old January 17th 05, 07:45 PM
Davoud

I pronounce it "min" -- rhymes with "daniel joseph min."

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Huygens makes successful landing on Saturn moon (Report) muldar Amateur Astronomy 0 January 15th 05 08:07 AM
Huygens landed! Victor SETI 1 January 14th 05 11:17 PM
Huygens Sets Off With Correct Spin and Speed [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 05 06:59 PM
Huygens Probe Successfully Detaches From Cassini [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 04 04:34 AM
ESA's Huygens Probe Set to Detach From Cassini Orbiter [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 22nd 04 12:41 AM