[PS] Happy New Year! The New Horizons flyby was successful!

Old January 2nd 19, 07:22 AM posted to sci.space.science
The Planetary Society via sci.space.science Admin

Default [PS] Happy New Year! The New Horizons flyby was successful!

Planetary Society Blog

Happy New Year! The New Horizons flyby was successful!

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...y-success.html

New Horizons has "phoned home" as expected, 4 hours after its closest
approach to 2014 MU69. Its brief transmission contained no science data,
but gave the scientists welcome news: New Horizons has successfully pulled
off the most distant flyby ever.

Old January 2nd 19, 09:38 PM posted to sci.space.science
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , sci-space-science-
says...

Planetary Society Blog

Happy New Year! The New Horizons flyby was successful!

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...y-success.html

New Horizons has "phoned home" as expected, 4 hours after its closest
approach to 2014 MU69. Its brief transmission contained no science data,
but gave the scientists welcome news: New Horizons has successfully pulled
off the most distant flyby ever.

Very exciting. The pre-encounter images indicate that it is rotating,
so that will hopefully provide for images of more than just one side of
2014 MU69.

The only downside is that it's going to take many months to download all
of the data from the encounter. I think I saw an estimate somewhere
else of 10 months.

Jeff

Old January 3rd 19, 02:04 AM posted to sci.space.science
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Jan/2/2019 at 15:38, Jeff Findley wrote :
In article , sci-space-science-
says...

Planetary Society Blog

Happy New Year! The New Horizons flyby was successful!

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...y-success.html

New Horizons has "phoned home" as expected, 4 hours after its closest
approach to 2014 MU69. Its brief transmission contained no science data,
but gave the scientists welcome news: New Horizons has successfully pulled
off the most distant flyby ever.

Very exciting. The pre-encounter images indicate that it is rotating,
so that will hopefully provide for images of more than just one side of
2014 MU69.

The only downside is that it's going to take many months to download all
of the data from the encounter. I think I saw an estimate somewhere
else of 10 months.

Jeff

It's a good looking snowman.

Alain Fournier