Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Old September 21st 18, 04:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Martin Brown wrote in
news
Yours
is the God

I'm not a theist.

That you assume I must be because I find you stupid and ignorant is a
product of your stupidity and ignorance. And bigotry.

You are, indeed, an atheist, even if you're too cowardly to admit it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old September 21st 18, 05:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 08:47:38 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

I imply that religions are mostly "Just so" stories invented by
desert dwelling nomads telling each other stories around the
camp fire. They have no significance beyond being good memorable
foundation myths.

And that is your religious faith, and like all religious faith, is
your bigotry.

Which goes to show you don't know what "religious" means, you don't
know what "faith" means, and you don't know what "bigotry" means.

I am *NOT* an atheist. I am a hard line agnostic.

So you believe in a deity of some sort?

I don't believe you. Though it is novel to redefine "agnostic" to
cover atheism. Usually, it's the other way around.

True agnosticism has nothing to do with atheism There are agnostic
atheists and there are agnostic theists. Agnosticism has to do with
the knowability of the question, it has nothing to do with belief.
Old September 21st 18, 05:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 21/09/2018 16:48, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
Yours
is the God

I'm not a theist.

That you assume I must be because I find you stupid and ignorant is a
product of your stupidity and ignorance. And bigotry.

You calling me stupid merely exposes your wilful ignorance.

You are, indeed, an atheist, even if you're too cowardly to admit it.

No I am not. An atheist claims to know that N, the number of deities in
the universe is precisely ZERO.

I view both the questions of N, the number of deities in the universe
and the probability of there being a God just as I would approach any
other scientific inference problem using Bayesian prior probabilities.

I am a hardline *agnostic*.

At least until someone shows up with God like powers and even then I
would tend to think that they merely had better advanced technology.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 21st 18, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

Kujisalimisha wrote:

I imply that religions are mostly "Just so" stories invented
by desert dwelling nomads telling each other stories around
the camp fire. They have no significance beyond being good
memorable foundation myths.

And that is your religious faith, and like all religious faith,
is your bigotry.

Which goes to show you don't know what "religious" means, you
don't know what "faith" means, and you don't know what "bigotry"
means.

I know you don't. But then, you're a Chris, so you don't know much
of anything.

I am *NOT* an atheist. I am a hard line agnostic.

So you believe in a deity of some sort?

So we can add "agnostic" to the list of words you don't know the
definition of.

I don't believe you. Though it is novel to redefine "agnostic"
to cover atheism. Usually, it's the other way around.

True agnosticism has nothing to do with atheism There are
agnostic atheists and there are agnostic theists. Agnosticism
has to do with the knowability of the question, it has nothing
to do with belief.

And here you are in conflict with what you said up above. What a
maroon.

Old September 21st 18, 05:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 21/09/2018 16:48, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news
Yours
is the God

I'm not a theist.

That you assume I must be because I find you stupid and
ignorant is a product of your stupidity and ignorance. And
bigotry.

You calling me stupid merely exposes your wilful ignorance.

Or your stupidity.

You are, indeed, an atheist, even if you're too cowardly to
admit it.

No I am not.

Yes, you are.

Old September 21st 18, 06:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:02:39 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

No I am not. An atheist claims to know that N, the number of deities in
the universe is precisely ZERO.

That's a narrow definition. At its broadest, an atheist simply doesn't
believe in any deities. Not many claim with certainty that there are
none. That's not an intellectually sound or honest claim.
Old September 21st 18, 06:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

No I am not. An atheist claims to know that N, the number of
deities in the universe is precisely ZERO.

That's a narrow definition. At its broadest, an atheist simply
doesn't believe in any deities. Not many claim with certainty
that there are none. That's not an intellectually sound or
honest claim.

That's the more usual redefinition, the one that self proclaimed
(loudly, and relentlessly, like their lives depend on everyone know
it) internet atheists use to feel less like a tiny, freakish
minority.

Old September 22nd 18, 10:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

There is something quaint about mathematicians trying to treat inspirational matters mathematically as though mathematical notation is the same as musical notation. Long before the emergence of Royal Society empiricism, Pascal as a mathematicians noted something in this vein -

"We must see the matter at once, at one glance, and not by a process of reasoning, at least to a certain degree. And thus it is rare that mathematicians are intuitive and that men of intuition are mathematicians, because mathematicians wish to treat matters of intuition mathematically and make themselves ridiculous, wishing to begin with definitions and then with axioms, which is not the way to proceed in this kind of reasoning. Not that the mind does not do so, but it does it tacitly, naturally, and without technical rules; for the expression of it is beyond all men, and only a few can feel it."

http://www.leaderu.com/cyber/books/p...s-SECTION.html

People are having a sense of this certain class of people via Brexit, they don't want a border in Ireland yet want to leave the customs union. The facile objective is to keep the UK aligned with the single market while still making its own trade deals. Everyone else can see it but seemingly Brexiteers can't because it is not in their make-up to see the impossibility of having both arrangements simultaneously.

The point here, even though it covers many topics, is that few people have an understanding of the dangers of doing too much with small foundations or ignoring the great inspirational faculties which balances disciplined reasoning with hopeful projections.
Old September 22nd 18, 10:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 09:38:37 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:
And here you are in conflict with what you said up above. What a
maroon.

Maroon?
Old September 22nd 18, 10:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:02:09 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
True agnosticism has nothing to do with atheism There are agnostic
atheists and there are agnostic theists. Agnosticism has to do with
the knowability of the question, it has nothing to do with belief.

It has to do with the belief about the knowability. The knowability
itself either exists or does not exist, independently of personal
beliefs.