what shortwave frequency for "listening" to Jupiter

Old January 28th 05, 07:11 AM
Jon Fox

Default what shortwave frequency for "listening" to Jupiter

I understand Jupiter's sporadic radio emissions can be picked up on the HF
shortwave bands and sound like someone throwing sand grains at a glass
window (?). Anyway, what is the general frequency range(s) that I should be
monitoring and does it in fact sound like I described?

Thanks,
John Fox

Old January 28th 05, 08:27 AM
David Knisely

Try frequencies above 20 Mhz (the first detection of the decameter
Jovian radio bursts was something like 21.1 Mhz or so). Most seem to
like the range of 20 to 24 Mhz, although I have heard of some
observations as high as 35 Mhz. The emissions sound a little like ocean
waves on a beach. They can be surprisingly loud, but even so, it takes
a good shortwave receiver and a directional antenna (and a bit of luck)
to hear them. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 31 - Aug. 5, 2005, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old January 28th 05, 09:02 AM
Sayf Connary

Jon Fox wrote:
I understand Jupiter's sporadic radio emissions can be picked up on the HF
shortwave bands and sound like someone throwing sand grains at a glass
window (?). Anyway, what is the general frequency range(s) that I should be
monitoring and does it in fact sound like I described?

Thanks,
John Fox

NASA has a website dedicated to Jovian Amateur Radio Astronomy:

http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/

HTH.

--
~Sayf