How do you pronounce Huygens?

Old January 21st 05, 10:14 AM
Steve Maddison

T.T. wrote:

The Dutch are a polite race.
They do not fall about laughing when Americans try to
pronounce "Van Gough."

Well, not in front of you, anyway ;-)

My only point was that, to be understood, you're better off using a
common English/American pronunciation (i.e. "van Gok" or "van
Go") unless, of course, you've mastered the Dutch pronunciation. In
my experience, anything between the two tends not to be understood.

--Steve
Old January 21st 05, 09:29 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Steve Maddison wrote:
ou're better off using a
common English/American pronunciation (i.e. "van Gok" or "van
Go")

The standard English pronunciation rhymes with "cough".

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old January 21st 05, 10:56 PM
Shawn

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
Steve Maddison wrote:

ou're better off using a
common English/American pronunciation (i.e. "van Gok" or "van
Go")

The standard English pronunciation rhymes with "cough".

Van Goff? Never heard that, but I speak Mercan. I've always heard it
pronounced like when the delivery vehicle leaves the red light; Van Go!
Any other pronunciation (without a suitable European accent to back it
up) is just blatantly pretentious. :-)

Shawn
Old January 22nd 05, 01:45 AM
Cathy

Eric wrote:

something simple like "Dave" or "Hal" :-)

Would that be "pod" or "Pa-duh?"
Old January 24th 05, 10:42 AM
starman

Brian Tung wrote:

I suspect something unusual with the Radio Netherlands folks. It's
possible they are not native Dutch speakers, or have some unusual
accent.

If you have access to a shortwave radio, I'll tell you how to hear their
Dutch broadcasts. They also have programs in English but I'm not sure if
you'll hear the correct Dutch pronounciation of Huygens then. Of course
the news is constantly changing so 'Huygens' may be harder to hear now.

Old January 24th 05, 10:45 AM
starman

"T.T." wrote:

The Dutch are a polite race.
They do not fall about laughing when Americans try to pronounce "Van
Gough."

The correct pronounciation of 'Gough' sounds like you're trying to cough
up a fur ball.

Old January 27th 05, 05:05 PM
Skip Freeman

I pronounce it any way an 800 pound gorilla wants me to pronounce it.
-Skipward

Huygens makes successful landing on Saturn moon (Report) muldar Amateur Astronomy 0 January 15th 05 08:07 AM
Huygens landed! Victor SETI 1 January 14th 05 11:17 PM
Huygens Sets Off With Correct Spin and Speed [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 05 06:59 PM
Huygens Probe Successfully Detaches From Cassini [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 04 04:34 AM
ESA's Huygens Probe Set to Detach From Cassini Orbiter [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 22nd 04 12:41 AM